• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wavesonics

MSVS Wii plugin

This topic is 3986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is mainly for anyone who has done any Wii development. I heard from someone else that there is a plug-in for MSVS that can be used to do dev for Nintendo DS. I am currently doing some dev for the Wii and am dissatisfied with the IDE that is provided. So I was wondering if anyone had heard of a plug-in for doing Wii dev in any other IDE. I would be willing to use pretty much any other IDE. If it's not terribly difficult I would like to develop something (maybe just a post compile script?) to be able to use Code::Blocks to do me Wii development.

Advertisement
This has been covered on the Wii newsgroups before. All of this is visible through Google. If you have more specific questions, please post them to the Nintendo forums directly using your warioworld account.

CodeWarrior is the official set of tools, so that's what you get. [1]

It isn't too hard to use visual studio or anything else as your editor, though.

Most people use other build tools in their studios, and it is fairly easy to have a build tools create .vcproj file for your editing convenience. [2] You could just as easily generate your C::B project the same way.

As already stated the best info you can get is from warioworld and more specifically from the newsgroups.

Codewarrior and Radix are pretty poor IDEs but you need them for the debugging.

The compiler that both of those use works just like any other compiler.
No VS plugin needed. Just get your project building with a makefile and then create a VS makefile project. Once you have it setup you can edit like normal in VS, press F5 and it will build and launch Radix for the debugger.

So be prepared to spend some time in hell (makefiles blow). But once it is setup its all works fairly smoothly.

Ah ya I always forget about the newsgroup,

it's not the compiler I was worrying about, its how to get it to run on the dev hardware that I was concerned about.

I'll check around on the newsgroup.

thanks guys.

Quote:
Original post by frob

Sssssssst! Don't mention CodeWarrior on these boards, you'll piss off Evil Steve. And once he starts ranting about CodeWarrior, he won't stop until a nurse injected him with his medication.

Quote:
Original post by frob
And oh how I wish it wasn't. It's the worst compiler/IDE I've ever used, it crashes all the time, it's full of quirky UI bugs, it's linker was crashing when compiling our game previously, it likes to completely ignore breakpoints and just go horribly wrong with memory watchpoints.

</rant>

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by frob
And oh how I wish it wasn't. It's the worst compiler/IDE I've ever used, it crashes all the time, it's full of quirky UI bugs, it's linker was crashing when compiling our game previously, it likes to completely ignore breakpoints and just go horribly wrong with memory watchpoints.

</rant>

arrrghhh

Its also the least intuituve system ever..it's as if they worked out all the most intuitive ways of doing something..then did the opposite...even adding a file is a chore, the "intellilnk" stuff is more hionderence than you can imagine, and the auto dock "feature" is the most irritating thing I've evern knowne when trying to move a window out of the way.

nasty nasty

But..it is free an once you learn to keep the blood pressure down it does it's job, poorly at times, but it does it's job, but I wish to god Sony had not bought SNSystems, and therefore killed development of the Wi and DS ProDg dev system....

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!