• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Darkbiship

Game Concepts

This topic is 3989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Im new here, so I apoligize if this is the wrong section. What really frusturates me when Im trying to come up with a gameconcept, is the fact that it feels like almost everything has been done, and when I try to put a new twist on it, it ends up being well stupid. I was wondering how you guys get around this other then story, so how do you guys do it?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Darkbiship
Hello Im new here
Welcome to GDNet! [smile]

Quote:
I apoligize if this is the wrong section.
It's not a bad section for it, but I'm going to move you to Game Design where I think it fits a bit better and you'll probably get better responses.

Quote:
What really frusturates me when Im trying to come up with a gameconcept, is the fact that it feels like almost everything has been done, and when I try to put a new twist on it, it ends up being well stupid.
I was wondering how you guys get around this other then story, so how do you guys do it?
You could try following a set of rules or working within some set of contraints. You might enter a contest which places restrictions on the type of game you can create, or you could try a set of restrictions such as Dogma 2001, or simply create your own set of restrictions. Having to work within contraints can sometimes lead to some interesting ideas because you have to be creative to come up with something fun that fits.

Another approach is to simply take a concept that has already been done, and to try to create a better implementation of it; perhaps there's some old game you loved, and there aren't too many more like it, but something about the interface or storyline or weapon-selection or whatever bothered you - create a new setting and/or storyline as appropriate and make a new game which is very similar and not very original, but which improves on the older version.

Quote:
when I try to put a new twist on it, it ends up being well stupid.
Have you tried developing small prototypes of your ideas to see if they're actually fun? Lots of very succeful games are based on ideas that sound pretty stupid, but they're still fun to play.

Thanks for that lengthy help, yes I have actually tried prototypes, and I had an idea for an endless shooter where instead of actually weilding them, you open up a portal, and out comes what ever projectile you want, anything from fireballs to small cats, it was fun, but I did it mostly because I cant animate

Sometimes you just have to go through several lame ideas before you find something interesting and new. Don't give up if you came up with something bad, just keep going, or better yet, figure out why it's bad, and see how you can improve on it.

I suggest that you look into the Experimental Gameplay Project, and various websites like it.
http://experimentalgameplay.com

I actualy have been visting EGP for a while and I have a new concept, that was inspired by a comic,
Enter the Myspace
its a top down shooter, based around the idea of if you ask me to join myspace Il shoot rainbows at you.
It started as a matrix lobby game, but evolved into EtM, the story is simple Tange Himst has captured your friend, and forced him to make a profile. You and your partner Rintty must fight through emos, flamers, mods, and glammer girls. You have to fight through 50 flights to save him.

I try not to focus too much on story or visual fluff when I'm looking for a good core gameplay concept. Those can be mixed together later on, once I've got a fun gameplay mechanic going. Depends on what sort of game you're after, of course.

Anyway, what I'm doing is just writing or sketching down the game ideas I come up with. I've got a list of roughly 50 ideas and concept images, ranging from rough, vague ideas to detailed and fleshed out concepts and prototypes. Even when an idea doesn't sound very innovative, I won't toss it away. It's not bad per definition, and it might just be what that other idea lacks.

Every now and then I go through the list, to get some inspiration. To mix some old ideas with what I recently saw or came up with. If something sounds interesting, I try to prototype it. Spending a few days getting a basic version up and running. If that's fun to play, I'll spend some more time on it and pass it to a few friends to see what they think of it and what suggestions they come up with. If it's not an interesting concept, I try to find out why and what I can do about it. Often, I just write that down in the list and continue with something more interesting. I might always be able to use it later on.

When it comes right down to it, as the good Captain mentioned, a game is only as good as it's gameplay mechanics.
Since the mechanics are what you will be using the entire game, it is an extremely important feature.

My dream RPG is built entirely around a mechanic (a unique movement system). Since the player will spend the majority of their time moving/exploring, I needed a mechanic that felt satisfying even after much use.

If you want more story/theoretical concepts, this method has worked for me every time:

"Wouldn't it be cool if..." or "What would it be like if..."

These questions help me all the time to make up cool settings, character and worlds. It may seem that everything has been done before, but there are still plenty of good ideas out there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!