• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nositi

Characters following my tile, trig in 3D

This topic is 3988 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone. I'm very very new to OpenGL and dealing with anything in 3D, and I'm having a slight problem visualizing how to apply trig in 3D. I didn't think that what I was trying to create is quite isometric, but I was direced here from the OpenGL forum. Anyway, I'm trying to create an isometric tile map that can be rotated on the z axis. I'm using OpenGL, and here's how I'm setting things up:
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(-400.0f, 400.0f, -300.0f, 300.0f, -1000.0f, 1000.0f);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

glRotatef(-60.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
glRotatef(zrot + 45.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);

(zrot increases/decreases when I press left/right) So my first rotation should rotate my z axis "upwards", so that it's 30 degrees off of where my y axis was, and my y axis "downwards", 30 degrees off of where the z was. Then I rotate 45 on the z so that the x and y look like this: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5406/axesne0.png After doing this I can draw a couple tiles like so:
glColor3f(1.0, 1.0, 0.0);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
	glVertex3f(-100.0f, -100.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(100.0f, -100.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(100.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(-100.0f, 100.0f, 0.0f);

glVertex3f(101.0f, 101.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(301.0f, 101.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(301.0f, 301.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(101.0f, 301.0f, 0.0f);
glEnd();

This is fine, and what I want so far. The problem arises when I try to draw what will be my unit that sits on the tile. My units will be 2D, so I want them to face the camera at all times, which means rotating on the z axis is not a good idea (I'm not trying to create an isometric game of Paper Mario). So before drawing them I cancel any effect of zrot and then draw:
glRotatef(-zrot, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);

glColor3f(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glBegin(GL_QUADS);	
	glVertex3f(151.0f, 251.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(151.0f, 251.0f, 150.0f);
	glVertex3f(251.0f, 151.0f, 150.0f);
	glVertex3f(251.0f, 151.0f, 0.0f);
glEnd();

The result is this: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5618/shapesjd4.png This is what I'm aiming for when the tiles are rotated that way, but when zrot is something other than 0, I want the unit to follow the tile. This I am not quite sure how to handle this translation, but I tried a few things. The most sensible thing I could think of would be to ignore the z axis and figure out x and y displacement. I came up with this:
GLfloat dx = cos(pi*zrot/180)*sin(pi*zrot/180)*201.0f;
GLfloat dy = sin(pi*zrot/180)*sin(pi*zrot/180)*201.0f;

This isn't getting me what I want though, and I can't get a good picture in my mind of what this is doing. Any ideas? I'm guessing the solution is fairly simplistic and something I should be able to figure out easily, which is what I find most frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Don't know if I understand your problem correctly.. but I think I have done what you want, although I don't rotate around Z :P

I got an OpenGL isometric perspective in my project too and I print text that is aligned to the screen. I do this in the following way:

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(-(mWidth/2), (mWidth/2), -(mHeight/2), (mHeight/2), -4000, 4000);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
glRotated(-60,1,0,0);
glRotated(45,0,0,1);

// Draw scene stuff ---

Then when I want to print my text I first translate it in world coords then I rotate the view so the text faces the screen:

glTranslated(-y,-x,z); // I got a strange coordinate system
glRotated(-45,0,0,1);
glRotated(60,1,0,0);

// Draw text stuff ---

Shouldn't it be possible to offset/add the Z angle in the rotations?

Hi O-san. Thanks for the response.

That's such a simple solution and it worked perfectly! I think I have a ways to go as far as getting used to rotating axes.

Although the only problem I have with this is that I think it might be somewhat inefficient if I have to draw a lot of items at the world view. I imagine for your program you won't need to go back and forth between the isometric and world views after you draw the text once. But if I have 60 tiles and 30 of them have a character or an object on them, that's a fair number of rotations for one frame.

Looks like you have quite an interesting project going on by the way. I'm tracking your journal now :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!