Preparation for University

Started by
7 comments, last by yaustar 16 years, 3 months ago
I'm going to be entering university this year to study games design or games design and production. I'm trying to broaden my skills to prepare myself in advance for graduating from University and getting a job. I decided to increase my knowledge in: - Photoshop CS3 (especially for texturing) - Level Editing (in tools like Unreal Ed and Hammer) - Reading and studying general games design - Possibly (not just yet) studying Maya and 3DSMax for modeling and animation I know some of these will be studied in University, but my main query is: Will I be able to increase my art skill in Uni by going on a separate but simultaneous art course which isn't too in-depth or as important as the real course I'm enrolling on... and more importantly would you recommend this? Taking to note I haven't studied art before in school or in college, but I'm not awful it.
Advertisement
A better question would be why do YOU want to study art? Do you want to be a Game Designer/Artist hybrid or are you purely doing it because you think it is needed in games design?

Read Sloperama FAQ 3, 12 and 44.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Thanks,

It's not so I can be a hybrid. I would like to be able to use art in games design to put across ideas and and be able to do visionary documentation as well as pure text etc. Does this make sense? Do I need to do this?

I mean, If I had raw talent for art, I'd love to become a hybrid. The simple thing is, I believe you have to alraedy have an amzing talent in art to do something like that.
Quote:Original post by Goreth
It's not so I can be a hybrid. I would like to be able to use art in games design to put across ideas and and be able to do visionary documentation as well as pure text etc. Does this make sense? Do I need to do this?

No. If you can sketch, you can put you ideas across visually. There is no need to do a full art course. An extra module or two is not completely out of the question though.

Purely out of curiosity, which University are you going to?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Either Games Design in Bolton university or Games Design and Production in Northumbria University.

What do you think Yaustar?

And thanks for the advice.
Hi Goreth!

Good luck with Uni! I went to Bolton University myself and took their 'Computer Games Software Development' course which was focused around programming.

I graduated two years ago and found a job pretty much straight away as a Gameplay Engineer and have been working in the industry for over a year now! (With Yaustar :) ) I can definatley recommend the Uni, although you have to be prepared to do alot of the learning yourself to really set yourself apart.

While I would recommend the uni, I think you may struggle finding employment however with the discipline you are choosing. Programming has a pretty tangible pathway - study C++ get a degree get a job. Art - study max / maya get a degree get a job. Sound - study protools, sound production get a degree get a job.

The trouble with design is that there is no concrete way of designing a game, and therefore its very hard for unis to 'teach' you how to design, all they can really do is raise your awareness of the various development methods involved and the way that different disciplines contribute to a game and the limitations they face.

This could make your life alot harder when trying to get a job in the industry, I had a portfolio of games to show implemented using industry standard methods/techniques, im not really sure what you can offer in your portfolio other than game design documents. Just something to bare in mind :)

I also like to add that Games Design is generally not a entry level role which makes it hard to break into because it requires a lot of industry experience and the number of roles is limited in number. There are some articles on GameCareer.com and Sloperama.com about design which you should read.

If you can, aim to do an internship with a games company during your course. This will greatly increase your chances.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Hey, thanks to both of you for the friendly advice.

" I can definatley recommend the Uni, although you have to be prepared to do alot of the learning yourself to really set yourself apart. "

Yea, I'm very set on working a lot in my spare time, so that shouldn't be a problem. I certainly need to, to get into games design!

" im not really sure what you can offer in your portfolio other than game design documents. "

What about maps created using level editors like Unreal Ed... and wouldn't maya / 3dsmax and photoshop skills improve my chances of getting a game design job? Or do they only relate to the art side of gaming?

" I also like to add that Games Design is generally not a entry level role which makes it hard to break into because it requires a lot of industry experience and the number of roles is limited in number. There are some articles on GameCareer.com and Sloperama.com about design which you should read.

If you can, aim to do an internship with a games company during your course. This will greatly increase your chances. "

Yea, I definitely plan on getting an internship within a company on my third year. I also scanned the articles you linked me and they are helpful. Thanks.

I appreciate the help,

P.S. Any chance I could have your msn addys or similar? It would be fantastic to talk to successful graduates and someone who has lots of valuable knowledge :)
RE: PS

No offense, I rather not. I barely have enough time for myself these days. That said, feel free to email or PM me and I get back to you as soon as I can. :)

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement