• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kitome

OpenGL About Snakes and T-Snakes Implementation

This topic is 3990 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone! I'm beginning to develop my graduation project which is about identifying objects from a video, and as far as I know I can identify each object using image segmentation of each video's photograph, to be able to do that I'm using snakes and t-snakes (I'm just not sure yet, but probably the later). Everything is fine so far, but the thing is that I have pretty much enough theory to begin the implementation, but I have basically 0 experience managing images and video with any programming language (especially c++). Because of this, I'm looking some kind of guidance about what do I need to know to be able to implement the snakes algorithm. I have googled about a sample code of the snakes algorithm implementation and I haven't found one. I know the theory but I just don't know the practice, I know that OpenGL and DevIL let me manipulate images and video files, but am I missing something or am I just going the wrong way? Please realize that I'm not looking for the solution of my graduation project, I'm just asking for guidance about how may I begin to implement it. I'm saying this before anyone thinks otherwise :) Any help and/or comment will be really appreciated.

Advertisement
You can define an energy function that you want to minimize. The energy function has two terms; internal energy and external energy. Internal energy is a measure of goodness of the curve itself, external energy is a measure of how well the curve fits to the image.

For example, internal energy could be:

Ei = (sum of distances between snake points) + (sum of angles between snake points)

This would look for a curve that is compact and smooth.

For external energy, you could use

Ex = sum of{ exp( -edgeiness of image under snake point) }

Which would try to put the snake points onto edge pixels.

Since it can be posed as a minimization problem, you could theoretically use just about ANY method for minimization. Here are some example implementations (journal articles):

"Dynamic Programming for Detecting, Tracking, and Matching Deformable Contours"

"A Regularized Contrast Statistic for Object Boundary Estimation -- Implementation and Statistical Evaluation"

"Automatic Initial Estimation of the Left Ventricular Myocordial Midwall in Emission Tomograms using Kohonen Maps"

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!