Simple, 2d Game Library

Started by
3 comments, last by afarnen 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi everyone! I'm starting a free, cross-platform library for creating computer games. It will be made up of simple header files which will define functions to easily create simple, 2d games. The goal is to support many different platforms (ie. Windows, Linux, x86, x64, etc.), and to have each platform use the same code to make the same games. That way, games can be written on one platform, and played on another without any porting or emulation. I'm not sure what language(s) it will be for. Probably some sort of object-oriented language, perhaps Objective C. Again this library isn't for creating huge, complex, 3d games. Although you can add such features if you wish, it would defeat the purpose. This library is for creating simple, fun, 2d games that you can share with your friends, no matter what operating system, etc. Just one problem, I don't know what to call it. Any ideas? Maybe something to do with games, or libraries. One of the first applications built with/for it that I would like to see is an easy drag & drop application for creating games, with the option of writing actual code, and built-in debugging/running. Some features would be: -2d graphics/animation -Sound playback -User input -Event calling/handling -Others I would love to hear any feedback you have, any comments, ideas, even criticisms.
Advertisement
Cross-platform libraries with the functionality you listed already exist (e.g., SDL, allegro), so why reinvent the wheel?
This library is out to be a more simple and easy alternative. It won't be overpacked like other libraries, and won't be confusing to use. It's not about creating an serious commercial games either, it's simply about making fun games and sharing with your friends for them to play, edit, etc., and share back with you. I'm going to make a tool for easily creating games using drag & drop, for those who don't know much or any programming, also.
I think HGE could be something for you.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read your post so carefully. I thought you where looking for a 2d game engine/library, but you want to create one.

Lizard
The only problem with that is that it runs only on Windows, and depends on DirectX. Also, it's not free (as in freedom), and I don't think it's a library, it's more of an engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement