• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Darkbiship

Programing

This topic is 3809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive been browsing the forums, and Ive been wondering what language a beginer should learn, I know some basic, but I make games with MMF2, a "no programing" game dev tool

Advertisement
This question is asked every week, so there will be plenty of opinions to find if you search the forum.

I wonder if we should have a sticky called "which language to choose?".

Thats a really good idea actually. Have a sticky topic with many common programming languages and their pro's and con's, plus some resources would go along way in helping some new people to programming:D

Pick something that is commonly used today. Doesn’t really matter which language you pick in the end. Beginners should prefer “high level” languages over lower level ones. Make sure it’s something really well known.

Most people here would say: C and C++ are certainly not beginner friendly. But C++ is definitely a solid language, especially in game programming. Python and Ruby are very beginner friendly and popular. C# and Java are popular, although not as beginner friendly as Python. C# is also Windows only, while Java is the exact opposite.

That pretty much somes up the daily responses to “what language is best” thread. You want more details, search the forum. There’s a bazillion posts on that question, asked daily. Google gets you infinitely more.

Lately, I've been recommending people with some previous experience to dive right into C.

It sounds crazy, but you'll need to learn some form of the language somewhere down the road anyway.

IMO, the best option is to just get in there and learn it. Take it at your own pace, however. No need to shoot your foot off (metaphorically and literally speaking :)

But, that’s the problem. Yes, so many languages share the C concept of syntax, braces and all. That does not translate to “learn C to learn other languages”. Most likely, people will end up learning all the bad syntax present in C, and then carry over habits from C to other languages.

Learning C doesn’t help with learning other languages at all anyway. It’s not a prerequisite in any form. So I never recommend learning C unless you are a C++ programmer or a very low level (embedded, etc.) programmer.

Stickies get ignored. There’s various reasons for that.

One is that the asker is simply to lazy to read and think. He wants instant simple answers. Programming is not about instant and simple, and there’s no helping that person. He’s going to ignore the stickies anyway.

Another is that the asker has done a bunch of reading, and is bewildered by the information out there. It’s pretty clear though that there a number of languages out there. Faced with a number of choices, it’s natural for people to look for a ranking system. And naturally everyone asks for the “best one” or the one that “best accomplishes” what they want to make.

If you’re going to make a sticky, here’s my suggestion. Two sentences. First: There is no best programming language. Second: If you can’t make a choice, start with Python. Make those two sentences in big bold red letters. (Tongue-in-cheek, maybe...)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!