• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
godsenddeath

best book/article on skinned meshes

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm looking for a good primer on the ins and outs of skinned meshes, how to parse them, maybe a bit about how they'ree formated. has anybody come across a resource or 2 they'd like to recommend?

Advertisement
From your question, asking about parsing and formatting, it sounds like you're looking into a specific format for skinned meshes. Do you mean X format animated meshes? Can't help you with a book there, but I might suggest not using them at all. You might want to look at other character animation libraries, such as Cal3D (only one which comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure other posters here could help if you need other choices).

There's an excellent article here that covers skeletal animation in detail. It covers the DirectX .X file format, but the first half is API and format independent and covers the theory of skeletal animation. Before reading it though, you might want to read the article on mesh hierarchies (also at that link) as it covers some of the transformation related material in more detail.

ok i read the Luna articles, and they were very, very helpful, but mostly from a theoretical perspective, has anyone else read something on the topic that they can recommend, something a bit more in the practical realm? i mean its a complicated subject so i doubt someone could just "pick it up" somewhere. or4 would this usually be in one of the "advanced programming with DirectX" books?

thanks alot for the help

EDIT - i'm specificlly interested in .X meshes, just to clarify

Quote:
Original post by godsenddeath
ok i read the Luna articles, and they were very, very helpful, but mostly from a theoretical perspective, has anyone else read something on the topic that they can recommend, something a bit more in the practical realm?

Did you read the whole thing or just the first half? Because the second half goes into great detail specifically on how to animate .X file meshes, including the code for it. How much more practical can you get? [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!