finding alternatives to deprecated code

Started by
2 comments, last by Toolmaker 16 years, 3 months ago
i've been putting alot of effort into becoming more comfortable with DirectX, specificly 9 (with some 8 because of my resources), but it seems like everywhere i turn certain things have been deprecated/replaced, and i'm wondering where i can find what these functions ect... have been replaced with? when it comes to API's, wikipedia and other sites have some details on directDraw,directPlay,the 2 sound APIs,etc.. , but right now i'm working through a book and an article regarding the loading/parsing of skinned meshes, and looking through MSDN, i'm seeing "(Legacy)" all over the place. so after this long winded explanation of my situation, does anyone know a good place to find the successors to deprecated code? thanks
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
#ifndef _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
#endif

FYI: This will turn off the "________ is deprecated" warnings. Just put it into the first place the compiler goes through (stdafx.h is good)

Usually, if you go to the msdn page for the particualar deprecated function, it should tell you... but it would also help if you gave an example of a deprecated function so we can find it and show you how we did, in case your problem is not what we were thinking of.
-----------------------------std::string is the way to go.
While the above poster is correct, those warnings are typically relating to parts of the Visual C++ implementation of the C++ Standard Library (particularly the C part of the library). Not only that, but that merely stops the warnings from showing up and doesn't tell you which things were removed in newer releases in a list-like format which is what I think you want.

For things like directX API information, the best source I've found is here. You may have to dig a bit, as this is mainly for new additions and not what was removed. But it DOES say "X was removed" in places so hopefully they're consistent.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by justcallmedrago
#ifndef _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
#endif

FYI: This will turn off the "________ is deprecated" warnings. Just put it into the first place the compiler goes through (stdafx.h is good)

Usually, if you go to the msdn page for the particualar deprecated function, it should tell you... but it would also help if you gave an example of a deprecated function so we can find it and show you how we did, in case your problem is not what we were thinking of.

That's correct, if you're speaking about the CRT(C/C++ runtime). But the OP isn't speaking about the CRT, but about DirectX.

In regards to DirectX, the best place is the official documentation, which has been linked before.

However, I highly recommend you do not turn the _CRT_SECURE_DEPRECATE define on, as it contains functions which might be able to prevent buffer overflows. The old functions are likely to be not removed, as they are part of the C/C++ standard.

Toolmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement