• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KilJaedon

Opinions / suggestions

This topic is 3988 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After reading some of the 'for beginners' stickies and many of the links within, I've decided to go with C++. I have a degree in electrical engineering and therefore I know a fair amount of programming in Perl, Java and c++ (though the latter is not as strong as I would like it to be....) So, knowing this, does anyone have suggestions on whether or not to use a GDK like 'Dark GDK' that is an option with Visual C++ express? It seems like it could be a helping hand but may also hide important aspects of the language as well.... Also, Will the express version of Visual Studio have the functionality I need to make simple games? It looks like it from the GDK examples, so I would like to know if anyone else uses Express and is successful with it. By the way my ultimate goal is to *eventually* complete a side scrolling action/strategy hybrid in the vein of ActRaiser. Thanks and I look forward to becoming part of the community!

Advertisement
First of all, welcome to forums! :)

I think you are able to do a simple games with your express version, but I really recommend getting a commercial version. Isn't the express version limited to some .Net stuff and some other stuff..? read the documentation.

Quote:
Original post by Arex
I think you are able to do a simple games with your express version, but I really recommend getting a commercial version. Isn't the express version limited to some .Net stuff and some other stuff..? read the documentation.
No. Go read the documentation yourself before making such a potentially expensive suggestion to a beginner again. The 2005 Express Edition needed the Platform SDK as a seperate install to do Win32 development, but this is no longer an issue with the 2008 edition.

As either a beginner or hobbyist developer the Express Editions are very likely to provide everything the OP will require.

Quote:
Also, Will the express version of Visual Studio have the functionality I need to make simple games?
Yes, you'd very likely already know about it if there were any features of the commercial versions you'd want to have, the Express Edition is more than capable for development of simple (or even very complex) games.

Quote:
So, knowing this, does anyone have suggestions on whether or not to use a GDK like 'Dark GDK' that is an option with Visual C++ express?
I've not tried or really looked into the Dark GDK myself, but using some sort of framework to build your games is usually an excellent idea (particularly as you already have some programming experience), as it will allow you to focus on actually getting a game done rather than fiddling about trying to implement your own engine or the like.

Quote:
Thanks and I look forward to becoming part of the community!
Welcome! [smile]

Quote:
Original post by jbadams
Quote:
Original post by Arex
No. Go read the documentation yourself before making such a potentially expensive suggestion to a beginner again. The 2005 Express Edition needed the Platform SDK as a seperate install to do Win32 development, but this is no longer an issue with the 2008 edition.

There is really a point in reading documentation. The thing is that the earlier you learn to start reading documentation before doing something the better. That is how it works in real life -> e.g. if you always ask from somebody there is a good chance that he / she will give you wrong information. That is why there is a documentation in the first place, you don't need to quess (or at least you should not).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!