why 3ds max/Maya??

Started by
9 comments, last by EliteCoder 16 years, 3 months ago
why do i usually hear that 3ds max or Maya is used in making games?? why?? why not zbrush?? or something else?? im planning to make an RTS game a "2D RTS game"... but im too lazy to draw 48 images for just a hero to walk/stand and attack(with 8 directions).. so i think i must first model it in a modeling application then capture it in 2d then use it in my game..BUT.. my classmate told me that zbrush is easier..i think i agree BUT i always see in books/internet/heard that they use 3Ds max or Maya.. WHY?? for my plan, a 2D RTS is it better to use 3ds max or zbrush?? thanks for any reply..
Advertisement
1 zbrush doesn't support animation at all.
2 zbrush isn't good at low poly work.(Hard to control vert creation and placement)
so in zbrush you can't easily change the position or what you call transformation(animation)?? am i right??

so zbrush is for static models? is that it??
It is for modeling they expect you to use a different app to animate your models. Since you are planing on doing pre-rendered models you would either have to rework the model for each frame of animation or export to a different app that supports animation.
YES! exactly! i want to make my hero in 3d then export as image then pose my hero then export then pose again.........

but where should i make it?? zbrush or 3dsmax?? which is easier to make my hero..

im planning to make a 2D RTS game with DOTA-like heroes...
guys?? any reply??
I'd say zbrush; considering max costs thousands of dollars (Although you might be able to get it through a school or university I suppose).
Even if you are only exporting sprites, vertex animation, etc., you want to use a program that supports skeletal animation (any major 3d app)... you can transpose in ZBrush but it isn't easily adjustable and definately not suited for animation.
-------------www.robg3d.com
If your primary concern is to make and animate models without having to pay through the nose for commercial software, then use Blender. Its UI definitely takes some getting used to, but it'll be capable of everything you need to do with it.

Mind you, expecting that you can get in, make a good animated model, get out, and get back to working on the game is extremely optimistic, especially if you have no prior modeling or animating experience. I've been playing with animations and modeling for over a year now, and while I'm leaps and bounds better than I was when I started, I still haven't achieved a quality level I'm satisfied with. This will be true for any program you use, though; it's not specific to Blender.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
not to hijack the thread, but i highly recommend blender (www.blender3d.org). free, open source, and is just about as capable as many of the high end commercial programs, albiet with a steeper learning curve.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement