Is there an image format where...

Started by
5 comments, last by Daaark 16 years, 3 months ago
Is there an image format that i can use to build a texture map where it has an alpha value for each pixel? I have been messing with TGA, but it seems that I can't get it out of a 24 bit. I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro 2X, but also have Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9. Basically, i am just learning OpenGL. I'm making a 6 sided die (which hasn't been a problem), and I want to be able to set the alpha value for the red color (background) to be a little translucent, and have the white dots be opaque. So far I havn't been able to find a way to do this. Any suggesions?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by rockytrh
Is there an image format that i can use to build a texture map where it has an alpha value for each pixel? I have been messing with TGA, but it seems that I can't get it out of a 24 bit. I'm using Corel Paint Shop Pro 2X, but also have Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9.

Basically, i am just learning OpenGL. I'm making a 6 sided die (which hasn't been a problem), and I want to be able to set the alpha value for the red color (background) to be a little translucent, and have the white dots be opaque. So far I havn't been able to find a way to do this.

Any suggesions?
TGA format has alpha channel support, so if you're not being able to create a 32-bit image, it's probably an issue with the image editor you're using rather than the format.

I'm not familiar with the two applications you mentioned, but if (by some chance) they don't support alpha channel editing, you might try the GIMP.
Another good alternative besides the GIMP is Paint.NET. It's rather small, less than 2mb, so it's easy to give it a try.
Paint.Net can also write TGA files with an alpha channel.

Other alpha formats are PNG (non-lossy like TGA) and DXT compressed (lossy, like JPG in a way), the latter being a format which you can directly load onto the graphics card.
I guess i am going to have to try something else because PSP just refuses to let me change alpha levels. It's really annoying .....

Every image has the same transparancy, i'm trying to set it up so that is is different depending on the color, but it won't let me.

That is actually a feasable thing with tga right? Having mixed alphas?
I manage Ok using the GIMP. I'm using SOIL as my image loading library. It works nicely, and I can have partial transparency with no problems. Your problem may be specific to the PSP.

I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
PSP can save alpha channels just fine. What you do is create a mask, and then save the mask as an alpha channel. You do this in the MASK menu. And then if ther eis a mask, you will save out your 32 bit TGA.
At least that is how it works in PSP7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement