Interactive Fiction Discussion - all views welcome!

Started by
4 comments, last by Destriarch 16 years, 3 months ago
I'm thinking of digging out good ol' Inform and writing a bit of Interactive Fiction - y'know, the good ol' type-in adventure of yesteryear - and I'm poking around for general inspiration, so I thought I'd open up a general discussion thread on the topic. What do you like or dislike about IF? Have you never really tried it and have questions about it? What would you like to see in an IF game? Care to share your own games that you've previously made, or get into writing your own? (It's really very easy! I favour Inform v6.0 myself, and the FROTZ interpreter) Want to lay a challenge at my door? (I can't afford to take up all, or even any of them, personally but somebody else might even if I don't so let's get a challenge thread going too!) Any takers?
Advertisement
this shouldnt be in the scripting forum. maybe in the game design or story writing forums

but i dont know what Inform is so u might be right
Techically it's a scripting language, because it produces a result that is read by an interpretation program to produce a game or portion thereof, but it could also be termed a programming language in other respects since it has to be compiled before its use.

Ash
But the questions you're asking aren't specific to scripting languages (or game mods). If you have some technical issues, feel free to raise them, otherwise I'll move this over to Game Design which is arguably more applicable.
oh this brings warmth to my heart, someone remembers inform :)
It was Inform 6.0 and Frotz that got me started with programming a couple of years ago. I loved it..until I tried to generate and output large .bmp files with the @save function ^^
I probably have a few unfinished games somewhere. More like fragmets tho, like a merchant/item "labrary" and stuff. I was new to programming back then so they probably aren't any good.

Be sure to report any cool things you do back to us :)

Quote:Original post by KylotanI'll move this over to Game Design which is arguably more applicable.

That's fine, if you think it better suited there. To be honest I dithered a bit as to where I should place it in the first place, as IF is something of an acquired taste.
Quote:Original post by Thunder SkyBe sure to report any cool things you do back to us :)

Will do! At present I've the first chapter of a paranormal investiation type game complete, but I foresee at least another four or five chapters before it's complete. That said, the special functions I'd planned to include are working well so, barring writer's block, things should go fairly smoothly from here.

Ash

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement