• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iMag

Loading bug and 64-bit question/problem

This topic is 3984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First question is pertaining a bug in a model viewer I have been working on. The bug seems to have appeared for a couple users from germany that is impossible for me to reproduce even using applocal to set my region to deutsch. My project is running c# + slimDX as MDX is no longer supported and xna just doesn't fit my needs. Here is a picture of the problem (uv bug): http://craig.young.81.googlepages.com/modelviewer_bugs.jpg This happens when loading an obj file. The basics is that I use a stream reader to read line by line of the obj file. Works fine for north american versions of windows. Second problem is the inability to run on a 64-bit. I don't have a 64-bit system personally to build and test on so I am having trouble figuring this stuff out. I had the error message my friend was having, but I lost that. So if anyone runnning xp/vista 64-bit versions feels like trying to run my viewer (available here: http://craig.young.81.googlepages.com/) and pass along the error from the event logs, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise links/tutorials for compiling for 64-bits would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced

Advertisement
I don't know about your issues with the model, but I can help you with the x64 stuff.

Without looking, I'd say that you're compiling your C# application as MSIL (Any CPU). This compiles the native image to whatever platform the program is executing on. If it's an x64 OS, then it'll compile to x64 code, x86 then x86 code.

Here's the problem: x64 code can't link against x86 DLLs. SlimDX in its packaged form is x86 (and has to be processor specific because it links against C/C++ libraries which are tied to a specific processor). You'll either need to compile an x64 version of SlimDX (not terribly difficult, but not fun, and you'll need the x64 C++ compiler), OR go into your project properties and go to Build and set the Platform Target to x86 (it'll likely say Any CPU). This will force the native image to be compiled for the x86 platform.

Hopefully this helps.

Do you want to recompile your application in 64-bit mode, or do you want your 32-bit app to run on x64? The former requires either a machine with a 64-bit OS installed, or cross-compiling, the latter should just work unless you're missing DLLs or something.

As for the bug itself, that doesn't look like UV errors to me, it looks almost like a Z-buffer error. Are you using non-power-of-2 textures at all? There's definitely something odd with the textures which isn't a UV problem (If they were borked you'd probably get the top left textel repeated over the entire triangle).

The thing with the 64-bit. I've tried compiling with the compiler options set to x86 and that hasn't worked. I've actually switched back to MDX for the time being as I was having issues with resizing the window or changing the anti aliasing settings.

My buddy kept getting this error to do with a string or something when starting up the program. i tried comiling for x86, 64-bit and anycpu each having the same problem. this error was happening within xna as well, which makes me wonder if it's something within my code itself and not something to do with the managed directx.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!