• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dolphins87

confused on which step to take next

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am so confused and overwhelmed right now. I want to make another game after my first game. My first game was Tic-Tac-Toe with SDL. I am thinking of a game like tetris, or breakout but as I sit here thinking about it I fell there are so many different things that I am gonna have to do. I have broken up what I learned are created SDL with class like a graphics, input, a timer, and font but I havn't added music yet. I think I am getting so overwhelmed but my projects getting bigger and dont know what to do. I want take make a little more complicated game etc.. but am not sure. I saw arroncox.net has tutorials to make tetris etc.. but I dont want to sit there and use his code beacuse I dont think that I will learn much and not sure where to go next.

Advertisement
You'll have to set some priorities. What's most important for your game? I suppose it's a working gameplay. For tetris, that's implementing falling blocks that can be moved and rotated, and that stop when they're about to hit the floor or another block. And of course, removing lines when they're full. Once you get that working, you can focus on the music and additional details.

If you still get stuck, then maybe it's a good idea to follow those tutorials, even if it's just to get going. Staring at your screen without getting any further isn't going to learn you anything, after all. ;)

I agree with Captain. Just keep adding little functionalities. Onces you get one, move on to the next. The mistake I always find myself making (not that you will) is that I try to add as much functionality as I can before the next workable "product". It's cost me a lot in terms of time.

Generally, if you can't see the next step it's because you're lost on some detour. Stop, go back and make sure you've a good foundation for things. There's a lot to learn, and it quickly becomes impossible if you don't get the language learned well and program design experience needed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!