• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Elspin

Porting applications to other computers?

This topic is 3900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't really want to get into the specifics of entire other operating systems, but as for porting your applications to other computers of the same operating system, what is the requirement? I remember seeing an article somewhere on how to do this, and recently I tried to use an application I made on a friends computer and it failed. I thought I bookmarked the article, but apparently not. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Advertisement
Could you provide more information as to what kind of error or failure you are seeing? Nothing horribly complex should be required to run your application on another computer with the same OS. You may want to make sure that all of your application's dependencies are present on the other computer, including dll's (e.g. glut32.dll) and data (e.g. images you may be using).

The steps you need to ensure that your programs work will vary depending on the OS and compiler you're using. For example if you're using MSVC, chances are you're linking to the .DLL version of the CRT (which won't be present on a Windows PC unless they have Visual Studio or they've installed it). If you are using MSVC, you should read up on Deployment in Visual C++.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!