Porting applications to other computers?

Started by
1 comment, last by MJP 16 years, 3 months ago
I don't really want to get into the specifics of entire other operating systems, but as for porting your applications to other computers of the same operating system, what is the requirement? I remember seeing an article somewhere on how to do this, and recently I tried to use an application I made on a friends computer and it failed. I thought I bookmarked the article, but apparently not. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?
Advertisement
Could you provide more information as to what kind of error or failure you are seeing? Nothing horribly complex should be required to run your application on another computer with the same OS. You may want to make sure that all of your application's dependencies are present on the other computer, including dll's (e.g. glut32.dll) and data (e.g. images you may be using).
The steps you need to ensure that your programs work will vary depending on the OS and compiler you're using. For example if you're using MSVC, chances are you're linking to the .DLL version of the CRT (which won't be present on a Windows PC unless they have Visual Studio or they've installed it). If you are using MSVC, you should read up on Deployment in Visual C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement