• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
samspot

What's my best option for accessing dplay8.h

This topic is 3809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Everyone, As I understand it, DirectPlay has been removed from DirectX. I purchased an ancient book published in 2005 and the code samples require dplay8.h. How should I go about getting access to this so I can use these samples? I saw mentioned in this Post that I could download the legacy headers but I've been unable to find anything other than the code for the header. Adding that alone didn't work because the dplay8.h file has other dependencies that I am missing. Any assistance you provide is appreciated! For reference I'm using the following: Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2007) Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition

Advertisement
The SDK I have installed on this machine (June 2007) has the DPlay8 headers and libs. I've uploaded them Here, if they're not in your SDK (Let me know if there's any files missing). The headers and lib files should be all you need, I belive.

However, I'd really recommend staying away from DirectPlay. It's not been updated in ages, provides very little advantage over plain Windows Sockets, is a pain to set up, and isn't at all portable.

Hey thanks a lot for taking the time to post those. They worked great, but it turns out I also need DirectMusic, so I tried rolling back to directx June 2007 and they were there too. Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!