• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WizardOfOzzz

Precision of 16 bit (565) texture interpolation

This topic is 3869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I remember trying to use two channels of a 565 texture to get 11 bits of precision back in the day. On old hardware it didn't work because the hardware interpolated the values at a much lower precision then was needed. Does anybody know if this has changed for DX10 class hardware? I haven't found any guidelines in DX10 for what type of precision you get for a given format. Sometimes 10+6 or 11+5 bits are just what the doctor ordered so it would be nice if you could combine them without doing interpolation manually in the shader (expensive!). Cheers! Eric P.S. If I don't get a response in a day or two I'll make up a test and report back with my results.

Advertisement
What type of interpolation are you refering to? Why would you have to worry about this with APIs like DX or OGL?

Do you mean bilinear filtering interpolation? I would simply let the hardware take care of this. And why would you use a 16 bit texture these days anyway? Nowadays hardware is probably optimized for 32bit textures.

As I understand it, Direct3D10 guarantees a certain level of precision regarding interpolation and floating-point operations in general.

Thanks Sc4Freak. I have scoured the net and can't find any documentation about texture filtering precision in D3D10. I know there are constraints for 32 bit textures but I can't find out for lower.

The reason for doing this is for memory considerations. I'm doing volume rendering and up to 512^3 volumes. I have some data I want to store in the volume but it doesn't need high precision. I need at least 11 bits for the primary data so if I could use RG for that and B for the other stuff I would save 128MB of memory! ( compared to one 16 bit and one 8 bit texture ).

Eric

PS> I noticed D3D has a 1 bit texture.. That would be cool to use too so I wonder what the precision is for that. Gotta find some time test this stuff!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!