• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
neneboricua19

Deriving transform matrix in object hierarchy

This topic is 3907 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I want to derive the transformation matrix to go from the model space of a child in a hierarchy to the modelspace of it's parent. I need help with the math for this. In more detail, I've got a hierarchy of objects in the scene. Each object has it's own position and rotation. I want to be able to set the position/rotation of an object in world space, and then compute the appropriate transforms for that object and all children of that object. //snip ascii art because I can't get it to display correctly.. I want to set the position/rotation of object A. These values are in world space. I want to calculate a transform that would take object A from model space to world space. Then I want to calculate transforms for all the child objects that would take them from their model space to the model space of their parent. I want to make sure that the interface (things like get and set_position) are in world space coordinates but that there are transforms for each object to the model space of it's parent. I hope that's clear and that someone can help me with the math to implement this. Thanks, neneboricua

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!