• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Naxos

Hosting behind Dynamic IP

This topic is 3903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure if this is the right section, please move it if I have made a mistake. ---------------------------------------------------- So say I want to host my game's master server on my computer (at least for testing purposes). It is connected through a provider that gives it a dynamic ip. What I thought of doing is having a dynamic DNS service such as dnsexit.com route a domain name to my computer. ( I realize that their would be small periods of interruption, after the IP changes and before DNS can be rewritten ). However, you have to have a domain name registered to do this. I have been unable to find a site which will register a domain for free, not even ridiculously long or obscure ones (naxos-free-GameServerDomainNameBBQ08.info). The name wouldn't be important, because only the game would use that to connect to the master server. What IS important is that the address always resolves to my computer. So my question is... is there perhaps another way of which I am unaware? Or does anyone perhaps know of an obscure free domain registrar? Thank you

Advertisement
www.dyndns.com

You can have one like .ath.cx, which isnt so bad.

There are no (That i know of) free top-level domain registrations.

did you try googling dynamic dns? The first hit dyndns.com offers free dynamic dns if you don't mind your name being something.dyndns.org. Then if you want your own .com it is 15/year. ICANN charges them money to have the ability to give out the names so nobody gives the names out free.

Ah, Thank you guys! I thought domain registration was necessary.

@stonemetal: I seem to be ever unable to find the right search terms. I tried 'dynamic ip', 'do it yourself domain registration', and various things, but dyndns was not in the (immediate) search results. :/

Edit: Sigh... 'dynamic ip' does in fact return dyndns.com ... in fact it is the first search return, in the sponsored links, which I tend to ignore. I apologize for my idiocy.

[Edited by - Naxos on January 15, 2008 12:44:35 PM]

You can get .coms for $8 a year. I got my funding by doing some freelance work (PHP)

Dyndns.com offers more than just yourname.dyndns.com

I have one for my internal network, lsrvint.ath.cx (Example, not the real one :P, which is updated by my router)

Also in case you don't realize it. You can download a program or have your router update it. (I use the program since I'm on a laptop that moves between wi-fi a lot)

Thank you again everyone.

Just to update you guys:
I setup an account with dyndns.com and can now host my own applications as servers. I have the update client running to make sure my IP is always correctly mapped.

I created a quick chat server today and it seems to work just fine, so.. success!

Once more, thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!