• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chadsxe

IDirect3DTexture9 size - Is it true that a file should not be larger then 256 x 256

This topic is 3808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am reading "Programming RPG with DirectX" and it says "Some video cards don’t allow differing widths and heights of a texture (such as 128 × 64 or 32 × 256), and most (as of this writing) don’t allow non-power of 2 texture sizes. For those reasons, you should always try to use textures with the same width and height. In addition, you should ensure that your textures don’t exceed 256 × 256 in size, which seems to be the maximum size that most video cards can handle (and you want to make sure that your game is as compatible as possible)." This is the second addition and was published in 2004. I naturally would imagine that there is a lot of stuff that does not hold true anymore do to advancements. None the less I though I would double check. Is it advisable to break larger textures up into 256 x 256 chunks or is it acceptable to load in something like 1024 x 1024. Regards Chad

Advertisement
Video cards made in the last 10 years or so can all handle non square textures of up to 2048 on a side. Newish cards (GeForce6+, ATI X1K+) can handle up to 4096 on a side. I'm unclear on how widespread non power of 2 support is now, but it is also very common.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Video cards made in the last 10 years or so can all handle non square textures of up to 2048 on a side. Newish cards (GeForce6+, ATI X1K+) can handle up to 4096 on a side. I'm unclear on how widespread non power of 2 support is now, but it is also very common.
The DX caps spreadsheet will tell you (I'm just about to leave and don't have time to check). I know my ATI X300 supports them conditionally, and an X800 supports them unconditionally, but that's about all I know offhand.

It was wrong in 2004, and probably even in 2000. There's a graphics card capabilities document in the SDK, which Steve mentioned, is accessible through the sample browser (last I checked), and though it's not up to date, it will give you and idea of what cards were capable of a year or two ago and before that (it includes the likes of the TNT, which is very old).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!