• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

[.net] Targetting .NET 1.1

This topic is 3983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a .NET job to do with the requirement that it be built with .NET 1.1. I am using Visual Studio 2005. Do I need to do anything specific to target .NET 1.1? Is merely not using .NET 2.0 classes enough?

Advertisement
I don't think it's possible with VS2005. My guess is that your best bet is to write some form of build script and use the old C# commandline compiler. Not 100% sure though.

What about in 2008? I think you can target 2.0 and 3.0 from 2008. Does 2008 support 1.1 targets?

Also, can you use C++/CLI from .NET 1.1?

Visual Studio 2008 can only target the .NET versions you listed, not .NET 1.1

C++/CLI works exclusively with .NET 2.0. For .NET 1.1, you would have to use its ugly brother, Managed C++.

If you have any influence on this, I'd strongly suggest to use .NET 2.0. Otherwise, there's still NAnt, which can target .NET 1.1 and will at least provide you with partial rebuilds and build automation. You might want to try SharpDevelop, too. I'm not sure whether it actually supports .NET 1.1, but I think the chances are good that it does ;-)

-Markus-

At this point, .NET 2.0 is standard on all new machines and almost all old computers will have it installed as well. Like suggested above, try to get your project upgraded to .NET 2.0. It really is very much better.

Quote:

At this point, .NET 2.0 is standard on all new machines and almost all old computers will have it installed as well. Like suggested above, try to get your project upgraded to .NET 2.0. It really is very much better.

I agree. I'll mention it, but I doubt they would have explicitly mentioned the .NET 1.1 requirement if it wasn't required (for whatever reason).

Quote:
Original post by Machaira
If the requirement is 1.1, they should give you a copy of VS 2003, right? [grin]

or mono?

You can target 1.1 with VS 2005, just make sure you add all the references to the correct assemblies. Also, you'll have to add all the controls to the toolbar if you want to use the graphical designer. I've never tried that though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!