display boolean state

Started by
10 comments, last by Obbedemus 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, this is more of a UI design question than an actual programming question. I need to display some readonly boolean state on a GUI. The first thing that comes to mind is a checkbox. However, a checkbox is an interactive control, (i.e. it's design more to accept input than show state), so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a better widget to display state.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
Most widgets allow you to set the into read-only mode.
Thanks, Antheus, but that doesn't really answer my question. I could use a disabled checkbox or even derive a new checkbox type and add a readonly state, but my point is that I don't believe a checkbox is the right widget to display readonly boolean state. Even a disabled checkbox suggests that there should be something the user can do to edit this value.

I'm looking for a better way to convey readonly boolean state to the user (short of a label that says "1" or "0" [grin])
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
I would just use a descriptive static label. Like "lighting on" vs. "lighting off" or whatever.

What exactly does this state represent?
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
I would just use a descriptive static label. Like "lighting on" vs. "lighting off" or whatever.

This is more of a general query than a specific instance. Usually it's some server variable that the user has no control over, but needs to know (for example if something is in stock).

A descriptive label certainly conveys the info in a "readonly" way, but when looking at a dialog box (this is for a business app in my day job) a label doesn't really stand out.

Ah, I'm probably just being overly fussy.

What about a little box displaying green or red, for true or false respectively.
Quote:Original post by Dancin_Fool
What about a little box displaying green or red, for true or false respectively.

Obstifucation FTW!

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

First thing that pops up in my mind is a radio button. Though most of these widgets are used for input, so secondly I thought of a green/red box.
( /)(O.o)(> <)This is Bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Quote:Original post by Obbedemus
First thing that pops up in my mind is a radio button. Though most of these widgets are used for input, so secondly I thought of a green/red box.

Sorry, no cookie for you [smile]. The semantics of a radio button are choosing one option from many, not a boolean switch.

Quote:Original post by ChaosEngine
Quote:Original post by Simian Man

This is more of a general query than a specific instance. Usually it's some server variable that the user has no control over, but needs to know (for example if something is in stock).

Reserve some space and show either a green checkmark or a red X icon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement