• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Omniblade

Archon's Chronicles Conceptual Backstory

This topic is 3896 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, this is an idea for a game backstory I've thought of. It is purely conceptual, and I'm sure many people will have questions, but not al of them will be answered. ;) Archon's Chronicles Backstory In the year 450, t'was a dangerous and dark place. Conspirators show themselves openly, many shadowy beliefs have risen, and fantasy is but a minor extension of reality. The Guild XII, an organization of legendary heroes and wizards, binds together the physical, psychological, and emotional states of the world. The Guild operates in secret, assassins of conspiracies, and creators of new magics and fighting styles. So ancient is it that its power is almost indomitable, yet so unknown is it that its experiments and semi-immoral operations are ignored by governments and secret services alike. They have taken over issues with democracy, ruthlessly taking control of many of the operations of the modern world. Yet they are the only things holding together this illusion of reality. As the talons of the Guild, many supersoldiers have been trained-pushed to the brink and mutated brutally with the immense power of magic and potions. Those who survive become legends, claws, powers throughout the world. They can do anything-kill, destroy, negotiate, brainwash, twist, manipulate, and warp. They make the most advantage of the "thought is reality" outlook of the world. Metahuman sense, vast strength, inhuman reflexes, and godly magics are but a few tasks these mighty soldiers can use. With only their great power, they have forged great monstrosities and great alien beings-entities with such power that they can defy the laws of metaphysics and logic alike. People lie, cheat, steal, deceive, lust, and kill. Sex, violence, and greed are but a few of the greatest wishes most humans have. These wishes and lies come to life in physical and psychological form, creating the powerful and emotional beasts that roam every human being as the property of an evil creature, who defied the laws of the gods themselves. He plucks the strings that make them dance, annihilates them at a will, and is, unfortunately for the people, never desultory-he always has a clear idea of whatever darkness he wants to perform. The agents of power destroy all of this lust by countering them with classical meta-psychology. Scientific and mathematical ability have helped them tap and break into the functions of the human brain. Physics and biology have intertwined with magic to form perfection that humans never seem to tap. Magic is a drug-an agent of power. The physical manifestation of the gods, any human that attempts to use it will get trapped in a vortex of addiction and death, enemies and chaos alike. It, however, is extremely helpful for those who can gain a hold of it-warping reality and changing the rules tying reality with fantasy are arbitary for a premier magician. Fortunately, you are a brilliant metahuman-using magic is easy for you. Recruited as a young lad on a farm in the countryside, you quickly grow through the ranks. After five years in the Guild, you become an adept. Working with the Guildmaster himself, you await the call to whisk away all of the conspirators and enemies of the Guild in a firestorm of power, a glorious final strike. To be continued... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please comment. I would like to know of its quality and any questions you may have, but I have to leave right now. I'll come back later-promise. ;) [Edited by - Omniblade on January 16, 2008 5:22:20 PM]

Advertisement
Im assuming you plan on telling the backstory up front as most games do and I think it has some nice concepts (a few people out there who can do anything to anyone at anytime) but I think the story itself is too thick and saturated with talk of power and it gets a little convoluted (even though I know its just a brief paragraph). What I would suggest is focusing on how to unfold this story throughout your game, I wouldnt throw in all the details at once because that leaves no mystery for the storyline to unravel. Maybe start with the modern happenings and throught the story let some of the details about the origins of the group. Im also not sure about the aliens. I would say "other beings" cause that could mean aliens if you want it to go that way, it could mean things from other dimensions, etc.

I guess in short im saying dont give it all away in your back story especially if you plan on telling it up front.

I won't give it all away, as it turns off intellectual players to my game, and adds nothing to the gameplay. Besides, people have to use the brains-they need imagination to fill in blanks. They need to have clues of what happens, but they should never know everything.

Edit: When I say "alien," I don't mean the aliens humans think may be in space right now. I mean beings that are way beyond average human comprehension, so much that they cannot fathom it.

I think that with the amount of "drunken power" in the world of yours, the prices of this power need to be more apparent. You mention some bits about being "twisted" by the power. But it needs a price that is evident on a minute by minute scale to those who come into contact with these beings. In our own reality people go through agony for a bit of power over their fellow man, so in fiction this need to be shown hundred fold.

Power trip aside, it might be a good idea to tone down the use of the word "meta."

The "whisk away all of the conspirators and enemies of the Guild in a firestorm of power" allows you to expand it endlessly, but how many times did they kill superman? You need a definite goal.

What exactly is the technology level in this?

How limited are the numbers of the Talons?

What can't they do? You need a line somewhere.

Why a farm? It doesn't sound like a good place to find a anti-hero.

Only took five years? Five years of active duty? or five years in total? how long did it take to twist him into a talon?

All for now. But don't worry, the questions are legion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!