opengl/directx

Started by
13 comments, last by Sc4Freak 16 years, 3 months ago
so, what're your opinions/pros/cons of each?
Advertisement
This question has been raised over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It’s also one of those flame-filled non instructive debates.

So is there a reason you asked this question instead of Googling?
GL) (Arguably better) C API. Cross-platform. Extensibility framework. Lots of old clutter remains in the API from out-dated rending pipeline models...
DX) (Arguably better) C++ API. Larger scope than just graphics. Carmack has become a convert...
Simple question.

OpenGL is a standard gØverned by some guys who know their stüff. It covers rendering, usually 3D, on a variety of platforms. It is a "C-style" API that was easy for beginners to get into back in the day. Lately, many commercial games don't use it, but it is still used in academia and 3D modeling/art.

DirectX is controlled by Microsoft and căn handle Input and Sound too. It has big SDK's that come packed with documentation of its verbose C++-style API.
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
GL) (Arguably better) C API. Cross-platform. Extensibility framework. Lots of old clutter remains in the API from out-dated rending pipeline models...

Version 3.0, that should be out soon *crosses fingers* should clean up the clutter.
as for the topic. Maybe you should try both and see what you like better. Just make a simple 3d game (3d pong) in both API's and see what you like better, or find easyer.
OPENGL ...!
BECUSE THE BILL IS NOT YOUR BOSS..
THIS MEANS YOU ARE NOT WORKING FOR FREE TO BILL.!
but probally for some others.!
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Quote:Original post by RSC_x
OPENGL ...!
BECUSE THE BILL IS NOT YOUR BOSS..
THIS MEANS YOU ARE NOT WORKING FOR FREE TO BILL.!
but probally for some others.!

haha, i like that.

but yeah, i know it can be found in many places on google, but i'm lazy, sorry. just wanted some opinions of people on gamedev. i've been using opengl cause its easier, but i really think i wanna start using directx instead because it seems to be faster and more flexible from what i hear. thanks for your thoughts though
Using the latest directx is not very good for indies who want to distribute little games because you need an installer to install the latest d3dx DLLs. Sorry, I guess that is just if you want to use the helper functions!

Depends on your audience YMMV

The DirectX SDK has grown steadily over the years from around 100 megs to now around 500 megs.
wow, i did not know that. so if your gonna spread your game or whatever, you need to send a directx installer with it? its not as big as the real directx installer thing is it? the debug version or something?
Quote:Original post by iedoc
wow, i did not know that. so if your gonna spread your game or whatever, you need to send a directx installer with it? its not as big as the real directx installer thing is it? the debug version or something?

It's the same one you've used to install any DirectX game on your computer. DX has an API so you can build it right into your installation program, or you can just tell your users to use the web installer from MS's website.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement