• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Forestknight25

Innovative controller for gaming project

This topic is 3898 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

http://www.adeptbase.com/controller I designed it for use with a particular game I have planned and may be working on within a year or two, once my studio gets off the ground. I will present you my idea. I apologize for the poor quality of the concept art and the poor layout of the web page...I whipped it up and uploaded it to my site in under 5 minutes...forgive me :( Anyways, here are the controller's features. A set of arrow keys is used for directional input. There are 3 buttons on the top of the unit. However, what sets it apart, and puts the "air" in its name, is the large air bulb, about the size of a filled water balloon, located directly behind the three input buttons. Squeezing the bulb admits air to flow through a pressure sensor, which varies the data depending on how high the air pressure is. What this means is the in-game actions controlled by the bulb vary, depending on how hard the squeeze. I believe this will add a new type of interactivity to some games. Anyways, to give you an idea of how this controller can be used, I will mention the premise and controls for the game we're designing the controller for. You control a ship in a type of scrolling shooter. Sound unremarkable? Well here's where the controller comes in. Pressing Button one fires the main cannon, a rapid-fire vulcan gun. If you squeeze the bulb while tapping the fire button, larger "surges" of shots come out with each squeeze, in addition to the normal stream of shots. The harder the squeeze, the bigger the surge. Pressing Button two fires a charged laser. You must pump the bulb to fill the energy meter for the shot...the higher the energy level, the bigger the shot. Now you may be thinking it'd be incredibly awkward to press buttons and squeeze a balloon with the same hand, but I think it'll work just fine. The palm rests on the bulb, while the pointer and middle fingers rest on the buttons. To operate button combinations, simply raise your hand off the bulb to operate the buttons with your free fingers and squeezing the bulb with a press from your lower palm. Does this all make sense? Anyways, I wanna know what you all think about this concept :)

Advertisement
Carpal tunnel lawsuit waiting to happen, if you ask me.

Actually, the idea sounds really neat, but why use eighth-century bladder-squeezing technology? Surely some other, more robust system could read that input.

Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Carpal tunnel lawsuit waiting to happen, if you ask me.

Actually, the idea sounds really neat, but why use eighth-century bladder-squeezing technology? Surely some other, more robust system could read that input.

Lol yeah...point well made :D

It is my experience that some sort of physical, mechanical (rather than electronic) device provides the best feel...the more motion, the better I say. That is why the Wii has so much appeal: physical movements other than button pushing are way cool :)

Well maybe I'm just biased because I used to study paramedics, and one of my favorite life-saving devices was the bag-valve-mask resuscitator...I loved how it felt in my hands when I squeezed it. I could clearly "feel" the amount of air pressure or resistance in the thing. But gaming is far different from first-aid :P

I'm very intrigued as to what you might suggest as an alternative, the more "robust" technology as you said. Feel free to suggest all kinds of things.

EDIT: On a different topic, how does one create a clickable link text in your post, rather than a plain URL? Knowing would greatly help my future posts.

These boards support straight up HTML hyperlinking.

The whole squeezing bulb thing seems a little ... hokey. Really, you could get the same effect with an analog joy stick.

I hate to sound particularly negative, but trying to sell a game with a somewhat dubious controller never works, and additionally, it creates a huge amount of cash input to get it manufactured on a respectable scale. Additionally, this will push up the price of your game, and the games that accompany gimicky controllers invariably seem somewhat poorly made, or incredibly expensive, ie. Steel Batallion.

So before focusing on something like a controller, make a unique game concept first, and then later consider whether its worth creating a game specific controller, given the cost and poor stigma associated with such objects.

I think input peripherals cause the biggest cookie cutter effect in PC gaming. Far more than graphical display ability, processing, or memory. It seems like every other idea I come up with for my own project lands too far outside of input limitations. I always have to cut off feature limbs to fit it onto the keyboard and mouse. Many gameplay ideas have been completely avoided because of the restrictions.

I wish there was an answer. If we could all package special input devices with our games for a cheap price, gaming would leap mega bounds in no time. But we just can't, because it isn't cheap, and because it's unusual. Even I would be extra cautious when buying a game that packs a device with it. My first guess would be that it's a rip off game that was quickly made to sell a device that won't function with any other games. In reality, it should be a cheap device that's made just to play a very fun and unique game - but I've yet to encounter one.

I think it sounds pretty neat but I have to agree that it'd probably be a difficult uphill battle to get it widely accepted. But perhaps this controler is better suited to other specialized systems or applications outside of gaming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!