Brainstorm advantages of eye tracking!

Started by
7 comments, last by NickGravelyn 16 years, 3 months ago
I am attempting to get a grant for my game, and so need to show off the eye-tracking technology I'm using. I was aiming for resource optimization, but that seems to be something that will not be likely. There HAS to be some cool stuff I can do since I know where the player is looking. Any ideas??? Anything from flashy to (especially) resource-saving is what I'm aiming at. My boss is breathing down my neck on this one, and I'm simply not a graphics guy, though I'm learning! thanks guys, this forum has been greatly responsive thus far, I really appreciate it. ~Lykaios
Advertisement
Looking around in a virtual 3D environment seems the most logical use. I read a while back about a group doing eye-tracking within such an environment, and they had a neat little application setup to auto-focus the scene based on where the person was looking, making everything else blurry. This ended up simulating actual eye-sight within a virtual environment quite well, if I remember correctly.

I've also read of eye-tracking used in medical applications to assist patients. Consider an amputee or paralysis victim, or otherwise someone who has troubles with or is incapable of manipulating a keyboard or mouse.

Another idea could be a reading assistant. By tracking the user's eyes, you know which line/word they're on. This would allow you to integrate features like auto page-scrolling and bookmarking, and you could provide the reader with words per minute stats and the like (people who speed-read or want to read faster may be interested in that).

Final idea: children's games. Kids enjoy interaction, and there's all sorts of fun things you could do there. Say the kid looks at an owl: it hoots. They look at a tiger, it growls. Simple stuff like that.
Thinking of uses for eye-tracking, I just keep picturing a simple shooter game (bad guys pop up from behind crates, you click on them...) but with only one button - bad guys pop up from behind crates, you look at them and press space to fire eye-lasers at them!
The thing I would like the most is to be able to select the window I'm looking at by just looking at it and not needing to alt-tab or mouse clicking it. This is something that I need especially when working with multiple applications and keyboard short cuts.

- Oren
Don't shoot! I'm with the science team.....
Well my game is an fps where the eyetracking is used for mouselook.

That works fine.

However, my boss (comp sci professor) thinks that that will not be enough to impress our prospective granters, and so I wanted to do something within game that would either just plain look cool (like raytracing to specifically where they are looking) or save resources.

The other thing I'm looking into is frameless raytracing, but I want to use OGRE and it doesn't support it.

So basically again I'm looking for something specific to do within my fps game that would make use of the eye tracker (which I'm already using in game).

Just to clarify. Thanks alot for the responses thus far!
~Lykaios
Maybe crap ideas but what about depth of field focusing on what you're looking at, for resource saving a change in LOD of things you're not looking at.
wif you are doing an fps, why not make it sci-fi-isch by drawing a red pulsating outline around enemies and a green outline around friends. (when looking at them)

you could also maybe display a "analyzing" bar wich fills up ( this could be really fun with fast enemies, wich are hard to keep an eye on )
when finished that enemy could be "analyzed", and when looking at it some weak spots or somethign will be displayed..

just my 25 cents
You could have UI elements fade to nearly invisible until the user looks at them, then have then quickly fade back in. And maybe animate a little while looking at them.

You could have it so looking at incoming projectiles will destroy them.

If you can track whether or not one eye is closed you could have closing one eye activate different view modes. Such as heat sensitive vision with the right eye closed and night vision with the left eye closed.
I'm sure you can't go into detail, but how did you handle the eye tracking? Infrared receivers (like on glasses) or are you actually tracking the eyes themselves? I've wanted to play with eye tracking for a while and can't figure out how people usually approach it (to begin with).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement