Conversation Bot/AI

Started by
5 comments, last by DreamworldUC 16 years, 2 months ago
This is pretty basic so I thought I would put it in the Beginners section. [If moderators wish to move this to the AI section please do so] Alright. I am completely new to C++, I just bought a book on it 2 weeks ago and I have been learning for some time over the internet. I know a little bit of basic concepts, but still not much. For the past week I have been writing a translation program in Dev-C++, translating your english words into German, using the if statement. Currently I have over 1,000 entries, and I am still working on v.1. I have got to thinking, and I think it would be nice to add a programmed Bot/AI to another program, like a conversation AI. The problem is I really don't know anything about this. I've seen programs like this that use bots to help you learn languages, and I have always wanted to make one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks... ~DreamworlUC
Advertisement
No offense, but you are currently trying to climb everest with only a sweatshirt and a toothbrush. Translation is a very complex process, and there is a very good reason why most companies utilize humans for the job -- simply because defining the nuances and the correct translation to identify intention in a computer program is next to impossible. In fact, the only way people seem to have been able to do it is by using large training sets and learning algorithms.

As for 'chat' bots. Well, this is a bit different. Most of these tend to be learning bots as well...but I don't really know much about them. Perhaps someone else can fill you in.
I have the translation program running, but I see what you mean, I am just using a dictionary. If I was on my other comp I could post the code, but I already know it works. I have the program so it asks, then you type the English word, then it translates the German word (got all the german out of the dictionary, I also speak a little bit), then it loops and asks if you want to translate again, if no, the program closes. But I do see what you mean, it is close to impossible.
Would it not be more efficent to just parse a text file :S ? (For the words to translate.)

Like this:
<German Word> <English Word>

And then split the string and start translating with those simple rules.

Conversion Order:
1. Read the Dictionary File.
2. Split the Whole string
from spaces.
3. Start translating! (Compare all the words.)

Will save you a lot of time if you do it right.
Quote:Original post by ChJees
Would it not be more efficent to just parse a text file :S ? (For the words to translate.)

Like this:
<German Word> <English Word>

And then split the string and start translating with those simple rules.

Conversion Order:
1. Read the Dictionary File.
2. Split the Whole string
from spaces.
3. Start translating! (Compare all the words.)

Will save you a lot of time if you do it right.

Exactly. Using a database of some sort would make your application much simpler and easier to expand.. Programming every word manually through if statements is not a great way to do things at all.
Wow.. over 1000 if statements per word entered?
Yeah, lets just say it took me a week for a reason. When you talk about splitting the string I don't really follow, sorry. Like I said I am a complete noob to C++ and programming at all. If someone could pm me on how todo this it would be appreciated. I am also on a crappy computer for the moment, I am getting a new one in 3 weeks.

Also I am using Dev-C++, which I've heard is not the best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement