Hello, Need some help.

Started by
27 comments, last by oler1s 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Boder
Did you remember to check gpwiki.org for Python?

Aye I checked Python on gpwiki.org and went to pygame.com or something like that, and the screen shots were just.... too.... well you get my point.

So im still looking at C# and C++ and Java now.

I hear C++ is the king of languages when it comes to game programming. Is that true?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Malduster
If I start a language I want it to be one with which I can theoretically create any kind of game I wish within 6 months - 12 months.

Let me stop you there. I'm not trying to put you down, but believe me when I say there is no such language. If that was possible, then why would we still waste money buying popular games? Why don't we just make them ourselves? Because we simply can't. It takes years, and I do mean years, of experience and learning to become good enough to make "any kind of game [you] wish". Obviously, you wouldn't know much about the whole process as you have hardly begun, but please rethink your goal, because you are going to fail if that is your goal. Perhaps you exaggerate when you say "any kind of game", but even still, you probably won't be even close in 6 months to a year. Its nothing personal, but that is just the pattern I seem to see here with new programmers. As for helping you choose a language, I'll refrain from giving advice because I only really know C++, and that probably isn't an ideal language given the situation.
Quote:Original post by Malduster
I hear C++ is the king of languages when it comes to game programming. Is that true?

Pretty vague to say - it depends what game.

I'd call C++ the 'multitool' of languages, you can create text games, 2D games, 3D games, AND it makes it easy to port to [insert ANY platform here].

Python and java are generally used for text-based or 2D, but I've seen plenty of full-scale 3D masterpieces made with it.

There's no 'perfect' language, and there's no be-all-and-end-all language for games. Use what you become most comfortable with.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Maybe you can show us some of your art, since it sounds like you think you are a pretty good 3D artist.
Quote:If I start a language I want it to be one with which I can theoretically create any kind of game I wish within 6 months - 12 months.
You would be a good candidate to read "The Mythical Man Month", especially the section on software estimation. You severely underestimate the number of expert man hours that go into polished games.

Quote:Aye I checked Python on gpwiki.org and went to pygame.com or something like that, and the screen shots were just.... too.... well you get my point.
You seem to be confusing a language with 3rd party libraries. Doesn't really matter, as you're making superficial decisions anyway. If you want better graphics, make better graphics. Pygame is a wrapper for SDL, effectively, which allows you access to OpenGL. Theoretically speaking, your graphics isn't limited. It's up to you to make what you can of it.

Quote:I hear C++ is the king of languages when it comes to game programming. Is that true?
Yes. But given your previous posts, I can only guess you'll interpret my acknowledgment to be something like "C++ is the best language for game programming", which is not what I am saying.

Or maybe what you need is a dose of experience. AAA games involve C++, so maybe we should leave you to C++, and see what happens after a week of trying it :| .
You guys got the complete wrong impression... ugh...

I understand that its not possible, but like I said "theoretically" and what I meant was that I have good enough skill after a year of programming to be able to start some sort of professional game.

And by far I only seem to be interested in C++, but like theres Microsoft Visual C++ 2008.... what program should I use on my mac?

Im not trying to give the impression that im very good, you guys are misunderstanding...
Oh and also, I was looking at Irrlicht... uses C++, its looks okay, anyone know anything about it?
Quote:And by far I only seem to be interested in C++, but like theres Microsoft Visual C++ 2008.... what program should I use on my mac?
The most obvious choice would probably be Xcode. Alternatively, you could use GCC directly from the command line.
Hmm how come my Mac doesn't have Xcode? It has Leopard...
http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

Go fish :)

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement