Hello, Need some help.

Started by
27 comments, last by oler1s 16 years, 2 months ago
Oh -_- Thanks :P
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Malduster
Anyway, I want a language that is comparatively easy

C or C++ isn't easy, especially for a beginner.

Quote:Original post by MaldusterI hate to see graphics that hurt my eyes, im not here planning to make some game with Crysis like graphics, but I dont want to make a game with really box like graphics either.

The quality of graphics is independent of the language. How good it looks depends on how good an artist you are or have access to. You can make a fantastic looking game in Python and 3rd party libraries like PyGame and a poor one with C++ and Irrlicht.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

You should have a version of XCode on one of the installation DVDs that came with your MacBook. So no need to download the gigabyte. Once you have it installed, you can program Java right away. There'll be no need to download/install/configure anything any further.

About the screenshots at Pygame: Slow down. Prepare yourself to bake small cakes for a while before expecting stunning visuals.
Quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
Python is a language a lot of people love and I can't stand. It reminds me way too much of BASIC to be regarded as anything but shifty, and I'd suggest you learn a more conventional language for a first go-round.

O_____O

You MUST be joking.

The only thing Python and BASIC (speaking broadly; there are more variants of BASIC around than I could count) have in common is that they're easy to read - which is an obvious plus for source code (there is *no purpose* served by the source code being cryptic: deciphering sequences of seemingly random gibberish is the computer's job, not yours). It's also a perfectly "conventional" language. Which is to say, huge numbers of serious commercial projects use it extensively (including MMORPGs), and it's not in the set of languages commonly ridiculed by geeky internet trolls (that set being, roughly, VB, Java, PHP and COBOL, in approximate order of frequency of ridicule - I wouldn't say Java really deserves to be on that list, but that's how things are).

Seriously, have you actually tried *using it*?
Quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
Python is a language a lot of people love and I can't stand. It reminds me way too much of BASIC to be regarded as anything but shifty, and I'd suggest you learn a more conventional language for a first go-round.

I think Python is the best middle-ground between power and ease of use.

You can make pretty much anything with it, yet it's simple enough for a beginner to pick up.

I have no idea why you'd steer someone new away from such a language, it's a good choice for this guy.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Ahaaa...

Thanks a lot for ALL your replies guys... I think im gonna go with Python :)
Im jealous...I wanna do python....

I started off programming in C, then moved to visual basic, then assembly, and now C++ (weird I know but there are many years of non programming thrown in there so im back to scratch). Next im after python. But not till after I learn C++.

My advice would be pick a language (after reading about python I would say do that) and STICK WITH IT!!! This is your key. If you switch or stop youll be starting from scratch later down the road.
Hmm.. Thanks for the advice :)

Sadly I have no idea where to start with Python, im most probably gonna buy some book in the summers but for now I need to be guided in what direction to go.... anyone know of any good Python online tutorials etc?
Quote:Sadly I have no idea where to start with Python, im most probably gonna buy some book in the summers but for now I need to be guided in what direction to go.... anyone know of any good Python online tutorials etc?
Come now, you know better to ask such a question. A google search and going through the Python wiki should get you plenty of starting resources.

Having previous programming experience, you can guess that the first objective is to get the basic syntax down, and be able to work the toolchain on your OS (such as being able to pull up the interactive interpreter versus bytecompiling).

This is most easily done by simply following a tutorial of some sort for a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement