Sign in to follow this  
Forgive-n-Create

Action/Adventure MMO (Zelda...)

Think Zelda only remove the Copyright laws... -And A couple of Other Additions "You cannot profit from small techniques particularly when full armor is worn. My Way of strategy is the sure method to win when fighting for your life one man against five or ten. There is nothing wrong with the principle "one man can beat ten, so a thousand men can beat ten thousand". You must research this. Of course you cannot assemble a thousand or ten thousand men for everyday training. But you can become a master of strategy by training alone with a sword, so that you can understand the enemy's strategies, his strength and resources, and come to appreciate how to apply strategy to beat ten thousand enemies. Any man who wants to master the essence of my strategy must research diligently, training morning and evening. Thus can he polish his skill, become free from self, and realise extrordinary ability. He will come to posess miraculous power. This is the practical result of strategy. " -Musashi Miyamoto, The Book of Five Rings (Fire) I want to bring this to my video games... -To be that good... The way I have imagined the Combat System in this game involves a good mix of Blocking, Timing, Movement, Awareness of Enemies, Using the Right Timing for Projetciles and setting up traps The Sheild-Renders You invulnerable to Melee Attacks and Projectiles from the direction you are facing when used Sword-Melee Attacks Are the Most beautiful Part of the game, Finding a balance between Attack Speed and Melee Ranges are essential. Hold down attack for a stronger attack when released. All weapons have the same Attack strength. You can defend against projectiles by timing your weapon to when they almost hit you. -The knife-CoD4... Meant for its quick weapon switch, not for its range. Can be dual weilded. Can also be used as a projectile and picked up again -One Handed-Can dual weild these swords doubling your attack speed -Two Handed-Meant to be the Longest swords amoung them. Can Break through a single swords Defense, but not a Sheilds Rod-THe Rod can be a two handed weapon or a one handed depending on how you use it. One handed usually causes it to act like a spear, -Hammer-If you hit your enemy (Whether they are blocking or not) it causes them to lose balance -Axe-Somewhat Causes Loss of Balance, Less then the Hammer however and Can kill like a sword/spear -Spear-Poke Poke and Slice, Make your Rod into a sword and give it attack speed Chain Weapons-Can be two handed or one handed versions. One Handed Versions Make your weapon increase in attack speed and Have a rod at the bottom to hold, Two handed Versions allow your weapon to be used as a projectile. THe great thing about Chain weapons is how they go around enemies defenses unless they are struck right at the focus point. -Ball-If you hit enemies sword or sheild, it causes them to lose balance -Sword-Scorpion says... "Get ova herr" -Nunchuck-Is the only weapon that is the same two handed and one handed. Two handed simply doubles the attack speed. Does not Break through defenses, Just has the ability to stun enemies. Projectiles-All of them are effected by gravity, making their use needing a bit of practice at longer ranges. -Bow and Arrow-Hold to Increase Distance (RPG aspect allows quicker reload) -Sling Shot-Shoot Bombs at enemies with force -Boomerang-Hits enemies from the side -Shuriken-Quicker then the Bow and Arrow, less distance though Bomb-Use as a way to control your enemies movement, You want him to go left? throw a bomb to his right side. And if he wants to get blown appart.... Targeting system and Sounds -You can hear your opponents strikes before they happen -Targeting system allows you to target more then one enemy at once and switch between them at a semi automatic rate --However, when you lose vision of them, you unlock target... thus if you want to retarget them, you must make a quick head spin and lock on. Clan System -Renting out a castle in the vast Landscape seems like the only Fair choice -You Respawn in your Clans Castle (Reincarnation) -If you Do Not Have a Clan, you Respawn at a Random Castle (Even a Clans) -There is a Government Village that Will protect you until you are ready. Or Until you choose to go. -There are some villages that choose to kill you when you are reborn -There are some villages that will not allow you to leave -Depending on how you attack the Different NPCs and their villages these things will happen more or Less. Getting Weapons -Mine in Caverns Runescape style, Melt the Ore, Make the Sword --If you do it for a Clan, they will more likely keep it for you --Banks will also hold it for you, but they can get robbed by people or NPCs -You May also Buy them from certain NPC villages for doing Mercenary Work, Peace Keeper Work or Being a Personal Body Guarf. -You can also Steal the weapons, but certain NPC's Might rather fight you then allow that to happen... NPC's -Every Generation, There is a certain amount of Each NPC born Based upon how many survived the last Generation. -Its a Constant Battle Between Good, Evil and the Skilled -Take a side, join a clan or just do things for yourself I want to make this game Epic... -You know what to do, Make edits/additional thoughts -What do ya'll think?

I haven't developed any games...but. Have you made any games before? Do you realize the amount of work and time it will take for one person to make that game? The programming, the art, the networking system, the balancing, the fine tuning and polish...I think the goal of any indie developer should be to make a game that's fun, and accessible. The kind of game you're describing is pretty hardcore, and will take a long time to do right, if you even finish at all. I'm not trying to discourage this idea, It's great, but maybe at this point it's not the right time to start. If you're by yourself, maybe hold onto this one for a while, when you can turn the idea into the great game you want it to be. ;)

It looks like it has potential...but all you've told us about is combat, NPCs, and Guilds. If you could say more, then we could judge it more accurately. By the way, if you want this game to come to fruition, you're going to have to write a document (i.e. design document) that tells about every single facet of the game, from engine features to game classes. It's the cold, hard truth sadly. Unless you learn how to program and make artwork/sound at a supernatural level, you're going to need to explain some things to a team to make a hyper ambitious project

In other words, I'll judge it again after you add more info.

Thanks.

***OmniBlade***

I'm just dreaming...
-I know I probably will never make a game in my life, but that won't stop me from having an imagination

Maybe one day, we can organize the necessities for the code and from there be able to make an easy to develop code to base it on.
-Easy Coding is also a Dream of mine

So, even though we can make small silly games that are simple to make.
-ITs these Epic ones that really satisfy my Hunger

***Blue Lion***

=D I have thought this game through alot, but haven't 100% organized it yet...
-I'll Start on Google documents for each section and Upload the Sections Rather then a wall o' Text

Thanx =)

PS: Oh and You want to know my epic plan for a Hyper ambitious helpers?....

-Zelda Universe Forum =D Once they include a Programming Section/Teaching Area....

Quote:

I'm just dreaming...
-I know I probably will never make a game in my life, but that won't stop me from having an imagination

Why? You can code a game in a day if you want - it's all about knowing your limitations and setting an appropriate scope. I guess everyone is just being realistic... i'm looking at that design up there and thinking - that's 50 people for two years... depending on the quality you are going after of course!

Good gameplay does not have to feature everything - you could take a very small subset out of that list of ideas and make it good. AND finish it within a reasonable amount of time! :)

I'm interested in the notion, but what you describe is an ankle-deep ocean that stretches to the horizon. I can't swim in that. The thread title, with the Zelda mention, brought to mind one of my fondest video game dreams, which came to be first while playing Ocarina of Time, and has been rekindled and strengthened with every subsequent installment in the series.

Link, as a hero, is pretty great. He's got the sword, the shield, the bow, the magic fire balls, the three shirts that let him resist fire and beathe underwater and impress girls, the hookshot, the boomerang, the horse, the huge backup sword, the bombs, the flute, the fairy under his hat, the boots that hover in space...

Link is a one-man band. Imagine that band split into a twenty-man big band. Have a dozen character classes. Each class uses one or two of the tools in Link's inventory, and together they can do what he can, albeit with a lot of communication and teamwork. I imagine this every time I play Hellgate: London, and I think about how much cooler it would be if the world had more Metroid-type obstacles and you had to ask a friend to help you out with a grapple-beam challenge while you ice-beam the Metroids.

I think about that a lot. Sometimes, I think about it while I'm playing Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed. Then I imagine a game world that takes cooperative multiplayer to new and exciting places. That thought entrances me, and I sometimes lose consciousness. I dream, then, of a new sort of video game, combining the challenges and novelties of all my favorite game types, mixing up the greatness of past games with new innovations and setting it to catchy music. In the dream, I weep to think of a world that can be inhabited by any gamer, a world which will reward each participant with a currency that holds intrinsic value to him.

But I'm not likely to be able to make it, or to amply describe it. Maybe you can't, either.

***Painted Bird***

Your Right!
-I began with Flash- I started to learn minor physics engine properties. But when I started to try to learn the online aspects (they are the most important part in my eyes) I found I couldn't handle it

-I started Trying to develop using C#, didn't work out as I wanted it to though since it seemed like I was more copy and pasting code then learning it (Their
explainations of the code weren't too helpful)

-Tried to do the same with c++ (Similar situatio)
-Tried to do the same with Basic (Gave up before I started

I suppose I can break this Apart
-Change it into Sword, Sheild, Ball n chain, arrow and Bomb.

***Iron Chef Carnage***
Sounds appropiate, Each character becomes what they like and goes out to play that way...
-Dreams are where the real beauty is. Whether they remain in our minds or are made. Small games are just were the money is, and small gimmick enjoyment