[.net] textBox ScrollBars and cursor

Started by
4 comments, last by Machaira 16 years, 2 months ago
I have a few questions here about my application. My application is a Text Editor and Comparer. 1. I have a textBox with MultiLine mode activated. I have set the ScrollBars property to Both. But when I load a text file into it, only the Vertical one appears although the text file is quite long enough. What was wrong? 2. How to display the active cursor as blinking "^"(carat) character? And how to turn it back to the default cursor? The purpose is as an indication for user that he/she is in Edit mode. 3. After the file loaded into the textBox, the current state is Non-Edit mode. So I set the default textBox ReadOnly property to True. To change into Edit mode, user must click button Edit then the focus will be on the textBox. The problem is when textBox got focus, all the text was selected. I just want to display a single blinking cursor as ^ to show that the textBox is Editable. If I click Edit again, the mode turns into Non-Edit again and the cursor turns normal. How to do that? Thank you very much. [Edited by - chrisliando on January 27, 2008 9:25:16 PM]
Advertisement
1. Did you set the Wordwrap-property of the textbox to false?

2 & 3. I don't think you can without overloading the control. Maybe you should look for a custom one.
1. No, I did not. But now I have changed it to False.
Which one is better? With Horizontal scroll bar or not?

2. I just need to show ^ as cursor in Edit mode and turn it back to arrow in Non-Edit mode... How to do the custom one?

Please tell me..Thank you very much..

Why not just use a label to indicate the mode? Or have a status bar on the form with a section that indicates the mode. Either of these are more standard approaches than changing the caret.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Yes, I'd like to do that but the project specification expect me to do that. If until the last part of this project I haven't found it, I will use the other indicator like the ones you told me..

But is it possible to change the caret?

Thank you very much..
Whoever wrote a project specification like that needs pistol-whipped. [sad]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement