Windows "Open With" Crash Problem

Started by
4 comments, last by Corman 16 years, 2 months ago
I have associated a custom file type to my custom application but it crashes the application on startup when you double click the associated file type. What is crazy is this doesn't happen when the program is already running or if you pass the file information by the command line. There seems to be some random access violation occurring in a dll that has never given me any problems and that doesn't even have anything to do with the loading of the associated file type. And for a control test I took an older version of my program that doesn't open files in this manner and doesn't even take command line arguments and it crashes in the exact same manor. Anyone out there that can help?
Developer Journal: The Life of Corman
Advertisement
Well if it's your application what prevents you from attaching a debugger and see what is actually going wrong?
What does your registry entry look like?
My only suspicion (and a total stab in the dark) is your app having problems when the current working directory is not the same as the application's own directory.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Actually ben I believe your stab at the dark might be on mark about the working directory. I will inspect that thought more later tonight when I get back home. I will keep you informed if this is indeed the case.
Thanks a lot ben that was exactly the problem. That is what I get for using relative paths everywhere. [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement