Sign in to follow this  
Blacal

SwapChain throws OutOfVideoMemoryException

Hello, i have a little problem regarding SwapChains in Managed DirectX / C#. If i create a swapchain and there is not enough videomemory for it, a outofvideomemoryexception is thrown. Of course, this sounds logic, but this does always happen on my laptop with an oboard graphics card. The problem is that i will need swapchains for my application. Is there any way to create such swapchains inside system memory? Greetings Blacal

Unless you have some sort of UMA graphics adapter you wouldn't want system memory (or even paged/managed) swap chains.

What sort of sizes are you trying to create? Are you doing anything like triple buffering? Can you not re-use existing swap chains? Maybe run at a lower resolution?

In my experience this sort of thing is one of those limits you just have to place on the hardware - if you want to run at 1600x1200 with triple buffering and a 32bit depth/stencil buffer then you're going to need 30mb of VRAM available.

hth
Jack

I create a device instance and set its backbuffer size to current screen resolution (Application runs in windowed mode) and then i create the swapchain with the resolution of the corresponding render-window.

I do not use trible buffering or such like. I let all these values at default state.

Quote:

In my experience this sort of thing is one of those limits you just have to place on the hardware - if you want to run at 1600x1200 with triple buffering and a 32bit depth/stencil buffer then you're going to need 30mb of VRAM available.

OK, thats much.

hm.. creating them with a lower resolution / color deph can be an option, but the problem is still there.