Is it OK to eat badly if you exercise?

Started by
41 comments, last by dashurc 16 years, 2 months ago
Like many people, I could eat as much junk as I liked, and drink as much as I liked, when I was young - i.e until about 21. Since then my lifestyle has become more sedentary and I'm slowly gaining flab... and it's not an even covering but all on my belly which looks worse - I'm a small-boned, skinny guy with a belly. Thing is, I don't really want to give up snacks and beer. I don't have loads anyway... maybe a couple of drinks a day and no more than one BAD snack, our meals are reasonably good or at least not takeaway and ready-meals. I'm thinking to buy a bike or join a gym, but I'm wondering if I really need to change my diet as well to lose weight. All the TV programs tell the fat people to eat well AND exercise but is it possible to drink lots of beer, eat pizza and stay in shape if you burn a ton of calories? I know many athletes eat tremendous amounts of food but does it have to all be healthy, or can my body cope with a lot of fat and salt if I burn it up?
Advertisement
No, it isn't OK to eat total shit when you're working out. Depending on the amount of exercise you're doing, your body needs more than just calories to keep running. You need the additional vitamins, proteins, etc. in order to stay balanced and healthy.

It isn't bad to eat pizza / drink beer every now and then, but doing it on a daily basis, basically screws up your achievements. Both pizza and beer contain alot of calories, which you're basically trying to burn. Due to the increased burning of calories, your body increases the intake of food(Or it tries too, you'll be more hungry because your metabolism increases).

It's ok to eat more(In fact, it's a must), but not complete crap with low vitamin / proteins and just fat and calories. Eating less will have the exact opposite: Your body lowers it's metabolism to conserve energy, and instead of losing weight, you'll only gain weight.

A great way to lose fat quickly is a combination of cardio / weight lifting: The increased muscles consume more energy when idle(Because they have more mass) and the cardio is there to burn off additional fat. To compensate, you need to increase your intake of calories and proteins, drink more water and sleep more(Muscles recover when you sleep, so the more you sleep, the faster the build up). 60% of your exercises consist of proper diet btw.

Toolmaker

Yes, i think, as long as you get all your required nutrients, vitamins and burn off all that crap that builds up in your arteries.

However, you have to be very determined to keep the fat from gaining on you.

My advice, dont join an gym, dont get a bike. Do this:

Get up right now and do as many press-ups as can until you collapse. Do the same for sit ups and whatever else you might feel like doing. Do this every day. This kind of exercising only takes 15 minutes a day. Do a little more if you have to, its still not much. Get a pull up bar. I feel that this system keeps your body active and metabolism high with minimal input. I cant back that up scientifically, it works for me. Im 23. If this isnt enough at least it didnt cost you anything.

Going to the gym takes hours, money and your motivation for going will eventually become 'because im paying for the gym' and it is quite demolorizing if you dont see an improovement after spending time/money.

Running in the summer is good fun.

edit: i would consider this a quick-fix solution. Go with toolmaker for a more robust balanced system.
Quote:Original post by RivieraKid
Yes, i think, as long as you get all your required nutrients, vitamins and burn off all that crap that builds up in your arteries.

Get up right now and do as many press-ups as can until you collapse. Do the same for sit ups and whatever else you might feel like doing. Do this every day. This kind of exercising only takes 15 minutes a day. Do a little more if you have to, its still not much. Get a pull up bar. I feel that this system keeps your body active and metabolism high with minimal input. I cant back that up scientifically, it works for me. Im 23. If this isnt enough at least it didnt cost you anything.

Going to the gym takes hours, money and your motivation for going will eventually become 'because im paying for the gym' and it is quite demolorizing if you dont see an improovement after spending time/money.

edit: i would consider this a quick-fix solution. Go with toolmaker for a more robust balanced system.

I joined a gym, and I got some pretty good results after 3 to 4 months. I gained 5 kilos in weight and quite a lot of muscle while I got slimmer(I wasn't fat, I just had a small layer over my stomach).

When I saw myself in the mirror last week when I was clubbing, I noticed I got much broader shoulders, a nice masculine chest and currently my abs are starting to show up. Sure, going to the gym costs time, but apart from the fact I'm enjoying the exercise, I also meet new people and I can ask for help / tips whenever I need.

Also, I highly recommend against training the same muscle groups daily, with the exception to abs / lower back muscles. Your muscles need time to recover from the exercise and grow. Everyone suggests to keep at least 1 day between training the same muscle groups. I visit the gym every other day and do a total work out, others go daily and rotate the groups: Back / biceps, Chest / triceps, etc.

This will allow for muscle groups to recover and grow. I went up pretty fast in the first 2 months with what I was able to lift.

Also, if you want to train at home, do series. For instance, if you can do 15 push ups before collapsing, you them all, then take a minute or 2 rest, and do another series, rest and then a final series. For your abs, try to do at least 25 to 30 repetitions in 3 series.

Toolmaker

Quote:Original post by RivieraKid

I don't see how this would burn calories, which must be an important factor to lose fat... make sure your usag is greater than your intake. If you could do sit-ups without stopping for 15min it would be a good cardio exercise I guess.

The thing about the gym is I just don't realistically know if I'd be bothered to keep going. There is no gym real close and having to drive is an immediate barrier. I figured a bike is good as you get to go outside and can actually use it as transport.

Quote:Original post by Toolmaker
No, it isn't OK to eat total shit when you're working out. Depending on the amount of exercise you're doing, your body needs more than just calories to keep running. You need the additional vitamins, proteins, etc. in order to stay balanced and healthy.
Sorry I should have been clearer. I don't mean only eating junk. I mean eating a reasonable level of the things you need, plus a load of crap on top of that.

Eating too much crappy food is bad for your health even if you exercise. For example, bad cholesterol (LDL) builds up proportionally to how much intake you have rather than how many calories you burn (slight oversimplification). Other food related metabolic hazards such as mercury from fish don't respond to exercise at all.

On the other hand, if you get enough exercise and eat what you want, you can look healthy, if that's all you care about.
If you learn to eat healthy and exercise now you will not have to put in the effort that I did to lose weight when you get into your late 20's to early 30's. Treats are supposed to be eaten on special occasions, not for dessert every night. Start eating fruit and nuts rather than junk food. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup if you can. It's in everything and your liver isn't designed to break down large quantities of it. As far as salt goes most people do not have to worry about it. Unless you have sodium related hypertension you can basically eat as much salt as you want. Within reason of course, hypernatremia can kill you.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by d000hg
I'm thinking to buy a bike or join a gym, but I'm wondering if I really need to change my diet as well to lose weight. All the TV programs tell the fat people to eat well AND exercise but is it possible to drink lots of beer, eat pizza and stay in shape if you burn a ton of calories? I know many athletes eat tremendous amounts of food but does it have to all be healthy, or can my body cope with a lot of fat and salt if I burn it up?

Exercise alone won't make you lose weight. Your body will respond to the increased activity level by being hungry more. Weight control = caloric intake control.

Additionally, if you're planning to "burn salt", you may want to consider a course in chemistry.
I guess I would be hungry whether I simply lower my calorific intake, or keep it the same while increasing my use. I don't think it's physiologically possible to lose fat without creating an imbalance in calories in Vs calories out?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement