• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Rendering framework

This topic is 3742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I have been writing my own little engine/library for a while now and now I need some help. I've designed a some kind of a framework that i can write different renderer classes and use them to render to window class. Unfortunately my skills do have a limit... so I really need some help! [sad] Ok, here's what i thought:
/* Pseudo */
class BaseRenderer
{
public:
	virtual void initialize() = 0;
	virtual void render() = 0;
	virtual void resize() = 0;
}

/* Then I could inherit from the base class.. */

class GLRenderer : public BaseRenderer
{
public:
	void initialize() {
		/* GL Stuff */
	}

/* ... */
}

For the window class, I could pass the renderer as a parameter
/* Something like this */
class Window
{

Window(BaseRenderer *renderer) {
		if(renderer) {
			renderer->initialize();
		}
	}

}

Then I could use them as follows
int main()
{
	MyGLRenderer *renderer = new GLRenderer(); /* Inherited from GLRenderer */
	Window *window = new Window(renderer);
}

This is the real problem here. If I create a windows application(Win32 API). I'd have to write WINAPI WinMain or something like that, if I don't, the console window will be visible. How do I hide winapi crap from the end users? Also if I want to make it cross-platform, winapi stuff isn't tolerated. How would you guys create such a framework? EDIT: My target is to create cross-platform framework. Best Regards, zEeli [Edited by - zeeli on June 10, 2009 1:42:44 PM]

Advertisement
I'd recommend using SDL instead of Win32 for creating a window. They have already solved the problems you're dealing with here.

With SDL the user writes a standard main function and, if using a Win32 application project, SDL handles the call to WinMain and no console is brought up.

Also SDL is cross-platform, works with several 3D libraries (OpenGL, Direct3D and some engines such as Ogre), and is very simple.

Quote:
Original post by zeeli
How do I hide winapi crap from the end users? Also if I want to make it cross-platform, winapi stuff isn't tolerated.

Why do you want to hide the (win)main function though?

Why not just make a framework that I, the end user, can call into *from my own code, whatever it looks like*?
Then I'll figure out what kind of main function I want to use. (or if I even want to initialize your framework directly from the main function at all)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement