Need help with wrapper for 2-d std::vector

Started by
3 comments, last by chadsxe 16 years, 2 months ago
Not sure if I am shooting at the wind hear but I am trying to make a simple wrapper for implementation of a 2-D std::vector
#include <vector>

template <typename T>
class TwoDVector{
	public:
		TwoDVector(){};
		TwoDVector(int rows, int cols):m_data(rows, std::vector<T>(cols)){}

inline std::vector<T> & operator[](int i) { return m_data;}
		inline const std::vector<T> & operator[] (int i) const { return m_data;}

void resize(int rows, int cols){
			m_data.resize(rows);
			for(int i = 0;i < rows;++i) m_data.resize(cols);
		}

private:
		std::vector<std::vector<T> > m_data;  
};
I am having trouble getting my head around the constructor aspect of this. In order for it to generate the "2nd Demension" I would have to declare a variable like TwoDVector<Square> Map(25,25); correct? And I could not simply use the default like so... TwoDVector<Square> Map(); If I am correct in my assumption then I would not be able to declare an object of the type TwoDVector inside a .h file. Correct? Any advice would be great Regards Chad
Advertisement
Quote:In order for it to generate the "2nd Demension" I would have to declare a variable like

TwoDVector<Square> Map(25,25);

correct?
Correct...
Quote:And I could not simply use the default like so...

TwoDVector<Square> Map();
Sure, you can use the default constructor [edit: but without the parentheses, as the_edd points out below); it will just create an empty array with dimensions 0,0. (By the way, you have an extra semicolon after your default constructor.)
Quote:If I am correct in my assumption then I would not be able to declare an object of the type TwoDVector inside a .h file.
Why not?

I'm not sure if I understood your questions correctly though...

Also, you might take a look at the Boost.MultiArray library, if you haven't already.

[Edited by - jyk on January 28, 2008 6:07:12 PM]
IMHO a better way to do this would be to use a std::vector<T> and do the 2D-to-1D index mapping yourself (i=y*w+x). This allows people to take the address of index (0,0) and have a pointer to a contiguous block of memory as they would if they were using a 1D std::vector. If you do this though be wary of your resize() function. std::vector maintains its contents during a resize, so if a user of your class was to expect the same thing and they change the 2nd dimension they'll get a nasty surprise when the value at (5,6) is different before and after the resize.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Quote:Original post by chadsxe
And I could not simply use the default like so...

TwoDVector<Square> Map();

Careful, this declares a function called Map that takes no arguments and returns a TwoDVector<Square>. It is not an instantiation of TwoDVector<Square>. This may be why you're running in to trouble.

Drop the trailing ()

TwoDVector<Square> Map;

@the_edd
Crap...your right...that does solve my inital issue.

@joanusdmentia
Exploring your option as we speak

@jyk
Also exploring your boost option

Regards

Chad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement