Sign in to follow this  
TealMonsoon

New to game development, need tips

Have you ever programmed before? If not, you should learn a language before even attempting game programming. Personally, I use C++, but I do not recommend that to you as a first language. Python, C# or Java would be better options for a first language.

If you have programmed before and you know your language well, and you are just starting out in game programming, you should download the Windows SDK and learn how to program windows at least to understand how it works, even if you do end up using an alternative game library.

You should probably pick a game library or API you want to use. I use SDL and Allegro but I have also learned API's such as DirectX and OpenGL. DirectX and OpenGL are more difficult to understand and master than Game Librarie's such as SDL and Allegro but they are useful when you start getting into 3D programming. Google is useful getting into Game Programming, you should look up what you want to learn.

This link is useful when you are starting, on this site:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

As might be expected on a site primarily populated by programmers -- your first suggestion is to learn how to write code.

I think perhaps we need to take a step back!

First thing you want to consider is what do you want to -do-? Do you want to do the nitty-gritty code stuff that makes the game tick, or are you more interested in making things beautiful -- or perhaps you have a background in sound and audio and can make music and sound effects?

Programmers are one part of the development team -- we need as many artists, sound folks etc as we can get -- because if you take a bit of a look around -- most programmer art is awful; and I think perhaps you can probably extend that generalisation to programmer music also :P

So, clarify what you're after and p'raps we can suggest more useful resources ;)

~Shiny

Quote:
I have not done anything yet, have no idea what equipment to buy, and need help, or tips, or online guides, or something.
Then start reading. Of course you need help, and guides, and what not. But there's FAQs here, existing forum threads, articles, Google, and countless resources telling you what to do and how to do it.

Since you're already on the forum: Read the FAQ. Then go through the beginners forum looking for threads by other people. Some of them are questions from other complete beginners wondering how to get started in game development. Read the responses. Once you have done that much, you should have more refined questions to ask.