Best application to draw 2d graphics in XNA

Started by
3 comments, last by Jarrod1937 16 years, 2 months ago
I am looking for advice. I am making 2D cartoon style games in XNA. I am struggling with what is the best art application to draw cartoon style characters and landscapes. ( Dora the explorer/blues clues styles) Price does not matter, I simply am looking for the most user friendly application that can produce proefssional quality designs. And if you have any books to recommand I would greatly appeciate it. Thanks, Nick
Advertisement
Flash or Illustrator. Illustrator has more, richer vector drawing tools, but Flash can also create animations and mock-ups (or even be used to create user interfaces - see Scaleform GFX and Gameswf).

Inkscape is a rapidly developing, open source Illustrator contemporary. Might be worth a look, too.
I know this may sound a little ignorant. But Illustrator is good for creating UI graphic files? Since, its in XNA I will be handling the logic customization myself. I just need a good tool to create nice gradient style UI pictures.

Is this correct?

Thanks for helping,
Nick
Any 2d imaging application will work, but as Oluseyi pointed out, Illustrator would be a great choice. The reason is because it is designed for efficiency in developing vector drawing, which is something you would want for a cartoon style game because of the clean lines and fills you can generate with it.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by nick5454
I know this may sound a little ignorant. But Illustrator is good for creating UI graphic files? Since, its in XNA I will be handling the logic customization myself. I just need a good tool to create nice gradient style UI pictures.

Is this correct?

Thanks for helping,
Nick

Yes illustrator does this well.
Not to go around posting images in people's topics, but here is good example i did of what illustrator can do with gradients, both for game graphics, and possibly gui.
I would choose Illustrator over flash for the game graphics atleast. You get more control.

Just click the thumbnail

[Edited by - Jarrod1937 on January 28, 2008 10:35:08 PM]
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement