Python Video Tutorials

Started by
15 comments, last by blewisjr 16 years, 2 months ago
Hello. Recently I have been diving into python so to speak (pun intended). Since then I have decided to start doing some free python videos to help new people learn without having to plow through online texts, which can get cumbersome to read. So I have a simple question for you people at GameDev. What os would it be better to do the tutorials on. Currently I am duel booted to windows and linux. So for me either is no issue. The question really is what would be best for the learners? [edit for a spelling mistake]
Advertisement
You should do them for the OS that you feel the most comfortable with. If that is Windows do them in windows and show how to setup the environment for linux. Else do it the other way around.

This method seems to work pretty well for most tutorials why should video tutorials be any different.

~Feral
In all honesty the only reason i have windows atm is because I play eve online and my laptop won't run that on linux. when I get my new desktop built then I will convert so maybe it is better to do the tutorials on linux because I will be on linux entirely soon wish i thought about that before I posted this :P Thanks for the answer anyway lol.
Ok I am all set up to start making the tutorials. So what would you like to see first how to install python or get get into the nitty gritty.
Quote:Original post by blewisjr
Ok I am all set up to start making the tutorials. So what would you like to see first how to install python or get get into the nitty gritty.

This is for beginners....so installation and go from there......thanks

Quote:Original post by blewisjr

Maybe you should wait until you know Python a little bit better? It would be a shame to pour a lot of time and effort into making these video tutorials, then later realize that you explained something erroneously or could have done it better. Sometimes the understanding of things you had early in your programming career can be wince-inducing later on.

It's up to you, though.
Don't worry Oluseyi I do have quite a few years of programming experience under my belt. At this point to me a language is nothing but a change in syntax. I may have taught myself quite a bit since when I started programming at age 12 now 21 and have become a college dropout after 3yrs of going to school for Information Systems and Technology (IST). This does not make me incompetent I hope :D. At this point in my life I am getting ready to go back to school for computer network systems and hopefully landing a job in the games industry eventually coding backend server systems for games. Already working on my portfolio using Python.

Python is a great language that I fell in love with quick. I would like to share my knowledge of programming to the masses of people who would like to start to learn but hate having their nose in some online book like Dive into Python. I am putting a lot of thought and energy into these tutorials to make sure they are of good quality and useful to the learner.

The real purpose of my last question was more of a should I expect them to know how to find python and install it. I guess it does not hurt to assume they don't.
If that is the case I might as well give them a quick command line lesson so they know how to navigate to the folder so they can run the code.
Quote:Don't worry Oluseyi I do have quite a few years of programming experience under my belt. At this point to me a language is nothing but a change in syntax.

This statement scares me.
Well I'm pretty good with C++, Java, and BASIC but I still don't really get what my python programs should look like. It almost punishes you for doing things how you normally would in these other languages.

But if you have a knack for languages, I will consider watching some of the non-beginner tutorials.
What about that statement scares you. Programming concepts are programming concepts no matter what language you use. The only thing that changes is the syntax.

Now as for the tutorials. I have been having some issues with linux with screencasting. Turns out the screen recorder that works the best is almost impossible to edit unless you convert it to a avi. The issue with that is the quality takes a huge hit. There is a editor that edits video format the recorder uses, however, it does not run properly on my laptop. So because of this and because I want the screencasts to be clean, readable, and in all honesty useable I will be doing the tuts under windows. Damn my laptops hardware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement