Sign in to follow this  
MickeyMouse

Simple unified binding for Lua, Squirrel and Game Monkey (Added: Ocaml)

Hi everyone, I have recently implemented unified C plus plus binding for Lua, Squirrel and Game Monkey scripting languages and decided afterwards to release this to the public. The "library" (just a small test) has same interface across all scripting languages, is small and easy to use. Guess some of you might be interested. If so, take a look here. Cheers! [Edited by - MickeyMouse on February 27, 2010 6:24:31 PM]

I was interested to see you methods of working here and it is somewhat similar to first effort binding I created for Lua, which could have been adopted to other languages. Whilst I recognise your code is a proof of concept, the problem I seen in my binding and yours is the intrusion nature into objects. I decided to remove this and introduce a proxy class and a lot of templates and macro generating templates, which also by default auto generates proxy calling functions into an object. With this the vast majority is compile time rather than run time.
I do not currently have available Visual Studio, but I would be interested in your profile test results of the different languages.

Just letting you know I have added support for binding with Ocaml (really nice language, if you haven't tried). Unfortunately it's just function binding, no C++ class binding.

I wish Ocaml had a bit nicer C script-like interface to work with. Still even though it's not meant to be used as a typical scripting language (it's got no real run-time interface to bind C with Ocaml) it's partially possible to make it behave as desired.

And, since Ocaml - even interpreted - seems to be much faster than popular scripting languages like lua, squirrel, game monkey or angelscript I'm now seriously considering to use it for my future projects.