A confused beginner

Started by
1 comment, last by brentstrandy 16 years, 2 months ago
I'm serious about game programming,but you know there are so many fields to choose from,like AI,graphics,etc.Some say it is impossible for any single person to produce a big game on his own,but isn't a game programmer supposed to know every aspect about game programming?If so,and I choose graphics to spend most of my time on,how deep should I understand the other techniques?Is moderate level enough?or should I command everything?(I really really to create my OWN game,maybe not so big like Doom or Unreal Tournament,but it should include everything a real 3D game has.I don't mind if I have to spend 3 or 5 years on it). As to comilers and operating systems,should I command it like a compiler designer or something? I wonder if I can survive in the gaming industry by working as an algorithm anylizer or something?If so ,that'll be my first choice over graphic programmer(because I am now learning D.E.Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming",and it is so hard I guess it will consume so much of my time that I don't have time to understand others deeply). And one final question but no profanity:can I get a decent pay to support my family by being a game programmer?However I love it,I have to be real. I'm really confused,and I would appreciate your help very much.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by baixiangzhlt
And one final question but no profanity:can I get a decent pay to support my family by being a game programmer?However I love it,I have to be real.
I'm really confused,and I would appreciate your help very much.

a quick google came up with this article:
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/416/the_game_industry_salary_survey_2007.php
shows the average salary of the different fields in the game industry...

Average salary for a game programmer with three or fewer years experience: $65,833 or $57,913. Average salary Across all experience levels: $80,886. So i think you should be fine...

but if you are planning to to create your own game, then i think you should just take game programming as an hobby and find a job that is related to programming. this is just what i think, im not a real game programmer myself so i might be wrong >_<(thats why im hanging out at the beginners forums)

baixiangzhlt,

What is your current situation? If you have a family right now it might be hard to find the time to learn computer science. If you still in High School I would encourage you pursue at least a bachelors degree in computer science. Once you get this degree many many doors will be open to you. As for specialization, that comes with time. Just give it time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement