[.net] How to make function that return more than 1 value in Visual C++?

Started by
2 comments, last by SiCrane 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi I am using Visual C++. Is it possible to make a function that return more than one value? At least they have the same type. For example, I want to get the file name and the file content but both of them of the same type, which is String. I don't know if it is possible or not. If it is possible, how to do that? Please give me a code sample if possible, in C# also no problem. Thank you very much.
Advertisement
One simple way would be to make a struct

struct FileInfo{ std::string name std::string data};FileInfo foo ( ... blah ){FileInfo rVal.. blah ..return rVal;}int main ( ){FileInfo data = foo ( ... );std::cout << data.name << " : " << data.data << std::endl;}

Just remember that for larger structures, you probably want to allocate on the heap, and return a pointer.
FileInfo *foo ( ... ){FileInfo *rVal = new FileInfo;... blah ...return rVal;}int main ( ){FileInfo *data = foo ( ... );std::cout << data->name << " : " << data->data << std::endl;delete data;}
If you want to return a number of objects of the same type, you can return a std::vector of them, or something similar.

std::vector< std::string > GetFileNameAndContents(){    std::vector< std::string > strings;    //fill strings with whatever    return strings;}
Double post. Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement