• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

normalisation doubts

This topic is 3679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i was trying to learn the topic of face recognition with eigenfaces using the code at (http://darnok.org/programming/face-recognition/EigenFaceComputation.java) in the code he is normalising a double[][] as follows(line num:202) for ( image = 0; image < nrfaces; image++) { temp = max(eigVector[image]); // Our max for ( pix = 0; pix < eigVector[0].length; pix++) // Normalize eigVector[image][pix] = Math.abs( eigVector[image][pix] / temp); } my understanding is that normalisation should make a vector length equal to 1 (and so is done as x/|x| ),but here the array is divided by max() of each row.. why is this?can anyone help? jim

Advertisement
Vector normalization involves creating a unit vector. More generally, it's the process of making something more normal (as defined appropriately for the task).

In this case, you're boosting the dynamic range (increasing contrast, stretching the histogram). I've not done much image processing, but presumably higher-contrast details are easier to detect.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement