Paul Graham Releases Arc

Started by
46 comments, last by smart_idiot 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Captain_Thunder
Actually, since he made his millions by running a startup company...

He made his millions by selling his startup to another company. Typically, the sale price is a massive overvaluation of current state, and is instead based on projected potential (see YouTube).

capn_midnight's criticism has merit. Debatable conclusions, but meritorious arguments.

My biggest problem with him is that he actually *believes* this bullshit over "web 2.0" and AJAX being a new idea. I'm sorry, but I was doing that shit in '97 well before we ever had XmlHTTPRequest; it was just one of the many ways to misuse frames. It's because of guys like this that I have clients asking me to make web apps behave like desktop apps. Sure, it can be done, with a lot of freaking useless effort. It takes less effort to make a desktop app web-enabled than it does to make a web app look like a desktop app. I'm sick and tired of coding these damn hacks to make text boxes validate against the database before the page posts, or disabling alt+f4 on a page (NO! I won't do it! I refuse!).

My "favorite" line from the article I linked is "[Apple's] victory is so complete that I'm now surprised when I come across a computer running Windows." Crawl out from under your rock sometime soon, plzkthxbai? Windows is stronger now than ever. With .NET and all that it encompasses, companies are SCRAMBLING for .NET developers like you would not believe. The US Army does all of its new applications in .NET. The Department of Homeland Security does as well. Across the nation, major industries that I am bound by contract not to mention their names are pushing all of their work to .NET. On more than one occasion, it has been .NET alone (well, and Visual Studio) that has kept me coming back to Windows.

He is so blind to the facts that he has to invent his own little story world in order to make any sense out of life. Apple, taking over the computing industry, HAH! Even Linux has a bigger marketshare than Apple right now. If that's all it takes to declare MS dead, than LiveLink killed YouTube several years ago.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Nah, seems like what I excepted it to be ie. utterly boring. Arc always seemed to me as something only PG fanbois and people outside the "lisp community" were excited about.
---from www.yellow-hut.com/blog
You know, I just spent about a minute scanning over the release note. Damn, what a pretentious bag of shit.

Paul Graham just plummeted in my estimation.
As far as I can tell, Arc just changes a few primitive names and adds some syntactic sugar. This is why it can be implemented as a set of macros that just make local syntactic changes to Arc programs to convert them to PLT Scheme programs. You can do nothing in Arc that you can't do better in Scheme. For 6 years work and all the hype Graham has spread, it's really disappointing at both design and implementation level.

I wasn't expecting much, though. I disagree with almost everything Graham says, especially when it comes to language design. I think he suffers from his own Blub Paradox more than most programmers.
Quote:
So we're giving notice in advance that we're going to keep acting as if we were the only users.

Good luck with that.

Chance are, you are going to be the only users.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
You know, I just spent about a minute scanning over the release note. Damn, what a pretentious bag of shit.

Paul Graham just plummeted in my estimation.

I gave up at about the point where he started trying to justify the value of the "advantages" that Lisp further has over Python (and Perl) etc., in addition to what those hold over more "traditional" languages. Especially since by his favourite metric, work accomplished per syntax token, pretty much all the work has been accomplished by the time you get to something like Python for most normal tasks, and having irregular, predefined syntax is actually an advantage for human readability in the general (i.e. not domain-specific) case. (Not to mention: the less your DSL looks like normal Lisp, the closer you get to writing a real compiler (unavoidable), and only the parsing work is really done for you - and the rest isn't all that easy.)
Like many mentioned before, it doesn't bring anything new, except maybe that sequences are callable to make indexing easier.

Languages like Erlang or Haskell or Clojure which bring new things to the table (ok maybe not new, but certainly non-mainstream) are much more interesting.

I think PG should've looked at those other languages and learn new tricks instead of just bringing the same old Common Lisp and Scheme stuff with shorter names.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
having irregular, predefined syntax is actually an advantage for human readability in the general (i.e. not domain-specific) case
Arc is an experiment in a sort of minimalist philosophy that explicitly eschews readability as a relevant design parameter.

It is, at the very least, interesting to watch.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by GnuVince
Like many mentioned before, it doesn't bring anything new, except maybe that sequences are callable to make indexing easier.
There are many minor innovations in Arc. The only radical novelty I've found in it is the extreme simplicity of web code. Read blog.arc and srv.arc to see what I mean.

If you've set up Arc, a "Hello World" webapp can be written as follows:
(defop hello req (pr "hello world"))(asv)
Then navigate to http://localhost:8080/hello.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Quote:Original post by Tron3k
Quote:Original post by GnuVince
There are many minor innovations in Arc. The only radical novelty I've found in it is the extreme simplicity of web code. Read blog.arc and srv.arc to see what I mean.

If you've set up Arc, a "Hello World" webapp can be written as follows:
(defop hello req (pr "hello world"))(asv)
Then navigate to http://localhost:8080/hello.

yes, because "Hello World" is such a great demo.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement