prospects

Started by
11 comments, last by jagguy2 16 years, 2 months ago
I can load and manipulate a 3d model with directx/c++. the code take a min of 2000 lines just to do basic functionality but anyway i can do it. what i wnated to know was what prospects are there for this work? I still think i need much more work to be employable with directx/c++ but i am want to know about work possibilities. All I can think of is games but that cant be easy to get into or make money out of. What about producing a 3D world of a hotel or resort or even an airport. All these programs make for a interesting navigation tool? What are people's thoughts as I dont want to spend many more months on something that can never be used commercially for part-time or full-time work.
Advertisement
no prospects by lack of reponse? i like directx i want prospects for this.
i am in the wrong forum?
Lack of response often indicates a question that is unclear or too overly specific. I mean prospects of what exactly?

Regardless, any experience that you get will be of use commercially. If you're not at that level yet then learning (in general) should be priority #1. I don't want to say that what you learn is meaningless, because it does matter a bit, but it seems you're one of many who is so paralyzed by wanting to do the right thing that you don't do any thing (which is worst of all).

Personally, the only fields in which I've seen 3D rendering outside of games and digital arts is in health care. It seems a little odd, but there's a fair number of job openings I've seen for doing fancy 3d displays of hearts and bones and things. Maybe it's just because the health care industry is huge up here...
ok but i am doing a lot with directx/c++ and learning some blender. i dont see the point in using directx/c++ with bad graphics or graphics i want to use but cant get.

I am now feeling apprehensive because i am thinking this market is very hard to get into and make an income like i currently have (just average income).

i can see a huge market in the future for 3d app on real estate, maps etc.

i gaming that big a market to work in? i thought it would be run by large companies and not many people can work in this field.
Quote:Original post by jagguy2
Quote:i can see a huge market in the future for 3d app on real estate, maps etc.

First, forget C++. Web 2.0 is where customers are.

Coupled with automated on-site 3D scene reconstruction software, flexible database back-end and high/low and ultra-low bandwidth access. For bonus points, integrate google maps.

Secondly, real estate market in US is currently a really poor market to go into from scratch, unless you can provide large cost advantage over existing solutions.

Lastly, know thy competition. Put "real estate virtual tour" into google, and observe 227000 hits. This is a very popular topic and has been around ever since Apple launched QuickTime with its panorama mode.

As a software developer, you might be able to make one-time sum off this project (cost of such system is several thousand $, but not much more). But the real value here lies in data production. Photographing the places and converting them into digital form. Needless to say, the process needs to be as cheap as possible, reasonably fast, and accessible to cheap labor that will produce this data.

From business perspective, such approach is viable only if you're already in real estate and intend to run a business centered around it. But as purely software developer, there is just a one-time fee to be made, and perhaps a support contract, if you're willing to take on administrative work.
Quote:Original post by jagguy2
i can see a huge market in the future for 3d app on real estate, maps etc.

On what do you base that? I know google maps has a way to view specific areas in 3D but wether or not there is a big market for 3D maps is the question.

For real-estate, even with Antheus' paranoramic view thing, there isn't much demand for an app which allows people to walk around in 3D. It would also mean they have to spend time making their house virtual.

On the other hand, there might be need for an application where in-house designers can make new interiors and demonstrate those in 3D, but AutoCAD already does those sort of things.

Toolmaker

There is nothing wrong with doing one thing for work and another for fun. I have lots of gamedev experience in C++ and graphics libs from my personal projects, but i work as a PHP/MySQL developer. That's okay because i think developing games is way harder and i'd rather get paid to do something easy!
i was just trying ask people here about markets tow work in. it appears c++/directx gives a person little scope for work other than gaming houses(which seem hard to get employed in).

web 2.0 is an idea yes? i can use html,css,&#106avascript,php,mysql so are you saying this provides more scope for work? maybe true but c++/directx does offer a graphical program with control like no other. A model in blender and a walk through with c++/directx is a powerful visual tool if can be done quickly.<br><br>basciallyi want to work in IT and have skills but i am not sure where to lead eg ecommerce sites,web projects or c++/directx<br><br><!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - jagguy2 on February 3, 2008 3:39:55 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement