Obtaining and Using Eclipse

Started by
4 comments, last by CreativeCombustion 16 years, 2 months ago
Hey guys, I'm trying to obtain the eclipse engine (not the free MMORPG one, but the one that is built on top of FMOD and SDL to handle all the nitty gritties not directly related to the game engine), but its Sourceforge page seems to be down. Do you know of any alternative links where I can download the latest developer's version? After much thought, I really didn't see a point in reinventing the wheel and writing wrapper libraries around DirectX and so forth to load textures and handle sound and input. Is this a bad choice? Would a potential future employer look down on me for not building everything from scratch, and simply building a game engine on top of existing tools? I really just want to make an RPG engine without worrying about lowlevel mechanics like memory management, but I'm also worried it will reflect poorly on my portfolio after college. Thanks.
Advertisement
I don't know much about that engine but I don't think it will be a problem for future employment as many games are built on 3rd party engines. eg. Bioshock was built in the unreal engine and thats done pretty well for itself. I have seen quite a few jobs around looking for people who have experience in using the unreal engine too so maybe that might be a good one to look in to?
Quote:Original post by CreativeCombustion
Would a potential future employer look down on me for not building everything from scratch, and simply building a game engine on top of existing tools?

Just the opposite, actually.
Oh, thanks guys. I was really getting worried that it would look bad if I used existing tools. Thank goodness it isn't. *breathes sigh of relief* That's like, half the workload gone. Now I can focus on the fun programming. :)

I'm still unable to access the site. It gives me this message:

"This page cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

If you are the administrator of this site, please visit the Xoops Troubleshooting Page for assistance.

Helpful infomation you should provide while asking for assistance:

Error [Xoops]: Unable to connect to database in file

class/database/databasefactory.php line 34"

Do you know if the authors of the engine have an alternative website?
could try this: sourceforge.net/projects/eclipseeng/
Sorry haven't tried it and this was just a quick google search.
Thank you very, very much. I was unable to find it. All the other website--including the official SDL website--pointed me to that invalid site.

Thank you very much; it looks useful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement