triangle[4] = {200,110,312}
base_array[3][5][6]=0 ~> NULL
base_array[4][1][3]=0 ~> NULL
base_array[4][1][4]=1 ~> triangle[12] = {500,200,350}
                         triangle[13] = {600,140,110}
                         triangle[14] = {800,120,410}
                         triangle[15] = {200,110,312}
base_array[4][1][5]=0 ~> NULL

At the end, the program will draw all the point in array "triangle" from [0] to end. If i modify base_array[4][1][3] to 1 , a part of triangle array will create for it to store the corresponding point. If i modify base_array[4][1][4] to 0 , the corresponding part of triangle array will be deleted. At the end, again, the program will draw all the point in array "triangle" from [0] to end. _____________________________________________ In this structure ,the array "triangle" need to be dynamic allocated. or create a new array for each element of base_array. so how to create this data structure? thx:) [Edited by - gohkgohk on January 30, 2008 7:27:26 AM]
Advertisement
Uhhh.... what? What language is this? I really have absolutely no idea what you're trying to do. Why is your bool array 3D? What does it have to do with triangles? What does each index represent?
brain seizure!

if you can naturally think in terms of 3d arrays then I envy you - but I question if there is not a much simpler more intuitive way of approaching this problem?
- Teach a programmer an answer, he can code for a day. Show a programmer the documentation, he can code for a lifetime.
i am doing a 3d modeling software using voxel and marching cube
each unit cube can point to an array if it is a part of object,
i do this , because if i only modify a part of object,
i only need to create or delete some triangles,
and do not need to update for the whole mesh

base_array[0][1][0] represent the following position

Thx~

voxel

After this ,
i will draw the whole triangle array again
Isn't this going to consume a lot of memory? Especially for those cubes inside the actual object whom you may not get to ever modify (or see for that matter).

I don't really understand voxel or marching cube however. Perhaps you're onto something.

If you are using BOOL values to accelerate finding the modified portion of your surface, that could be a good technique. You will however face a challenge in determining the actual vertices/triangles to work on. One thing you can do is to keep the surface of your object into a separate vertex buffer of some kind and determine which vertices belong to which cube by intersecting with the cube volume in 3D and then storing indices to those vertices along with the BOOL value or in another 3dimensional array. (If the Vertex(x,y,z) is within all 6 planes that make the cube, then it belongs to that cube).

[SOURCE]#define MAX_A 100#define MAX_B 13#define MAX_C 666typedef struct{  int *indexes;  int index_count;} Baluba;Baluba VertIndex[MAX_A][MAX_B][MAX_C]; // points to a list of indices for each cubeBOOL Accelerator[MAX_A][MAX_B][MAX_C];[/SOURCE]
Quote:Original post by ttdeath
Isn't this going to consume a lot of memory? Especially for those cubes inside the actual object whom you may not get to ever modify (or see for that matter).

I don't really understand voxel or marching cube however. Perhaps you're onto something.

If you are using BOOL values to accelerate finding the modified portion of your surface, that could be a good technique. You will however face a challenge in determining the actual vertices/triangles to work on. One thing you can do is to keep the surface of your object into a separate vertex buffer of some kind and determine which vertices belong to which cube by intersecting with the cube volume in 3D and then storing indices to those vertices along with the BOOL value or in another 3dimensional array. (If the Vertex(x,y,z) is within all 6 planes that make the cube, then it belongs to that cube).

*** Source Snippet Removed ***[/source]

but the array size of each unit cube is not fixed.
Also, how can i get(draw) all the triangle again?
As I said, I don't really get what you are trying to do.

My solution was for an arbitrary number of cubes of same size that occupy the same space as a 3D Model (convex model). In this case each cube contains a part of the model's volume.

What do you mean by "but the array size of each unit cube is not fixed" ?

If you need a variable number of triangles to "fit" in a cube, that's covered by the implementation by the pointer to a list of indexes.

[SOURCE]int *p;p = (int*) malloc(sizeof(int) * max_index_count_per_cube);VertIndex[j][k].indexes = p;VertIndex[j][k].index_count = 34;// actual number of indexes in this particular cube (i, j, k), and upto max_index_count_per_cube constant;[/SOURCE]

A basic approach (not tested):

struct coordinate {  int x, y, z; // ranging 0..6 each in base array, anything in triangles  coordinate(int x, int y, int z): x(x), y(y), z(z) {}};typedef std::vector<coordinate> triangle_list;typedef std::map<coordinate, triangle_list> space_mapping;space_mapping base_array;// set uptriangle_list& t = base_array[coordinate(3, 5, 5)];t.push_back(coordinate(100, 250, 300));t.push_back(coordinate(200, 100, 219));// don't need to do anything special to start adding triangles to an empty location// remove everything from a location:base_array.erase(coordinate(4, 1, 4));// Copy all triangles in order to a single vector:triangle_list all_triangles;for (space_mapping::iterator it = base_array.begin(); it != base_array.end(); ++it) {  triangle_list& current_triangles = it->second;  std::copy(current_triangles.begin(), current_triangles.end(), std::back_inserter(all_triangles));}// Or if you just want to draw them in order, and you don't have to copy them to// a vertex buffer or anything, you could use std::for_each instead of std::copy// to call some function on each coordinate.

Or, just have one triangle list, and store indices in the map instead of triangle coordinates. But then you are responsible for updating everything if you try to insert an index in the middle. It will probably get very messy :)
triangle *cubes[7][7][7];

If cubes[x][y][z] is NULL, there is no mesh, if it's not NULL, it contains array of triangles.

Why the bool array, NULL/non-NULL is an implicit boolean condition.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
triangle *cubes[7][7][7];

If cubes[x][y][z] is NULL, there is no mesh, if it's not NULL, it points to an array of triangles.

Fixed; let's please be very careful about memory and object-ownership semantics if we are going to write code like this. :)

There is also the option of using boost::optional.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement