creating own browser

Started by
8 comments, last by Drakkcon 16 years, 2 months ago
while just in the shower i came across some new ideas for the way certain things could be done to improve the internet, at least to try anyway. I was just wondering if anyone here has programmed thier own browser, maybe as a uni project? I know it wouldn't be easy, having to parse html, dhtml, xml, php, cgi (actually never thought for a second there, php and other server stuff wouldn't matter as it gets printed out as html anyway, yes?) but still integrating &#106avascript, flash etc. plus security and on and on. Now i've not done much programming recently except games and website related so this would be a good "app" program to try. So I thought of doing it in C or C++ then I realised that Java would maybe be better for security etc? Would anyone be willing to share experiences, offer advice and point to some resources to get me started? much appreciated.
Advertisement
what are you trying to do? what you have said does not really convey any problem that you are trying to solve.

as for advice, use gecko if it doesn't conflict with your aims.
I've been working on a very specific-purpose browser to simplify my interaction with a few select websites (by cutting out all the stuff from the pages that I'm not interested in, auto-navigating certain paths, and remembering specific data from previous visits). I've been doing it in Python with wxPython, making use of some wrappers I've been working on (which in turn were originally meant for another project). A first version used the standard library Tkinter stuff, but I found Tkinter quite unwieldy for the kinds of things I want to do, and generally nasty and (dare I say it) unpythonic due to things like StringVar.

Even with the limited scope and the high-level language (and really, there's little reason to optimize for the basics; rendering stuff will still generally be far faster than downloading it) it's a pretty major undertaking.

Anyway, a browser can't "improve the internet" - it can only improve a given user's experience of it. Improving the internet substantially would require first getting rid of about 90% of its users. ;)
Personally, I would advise against it. Theres nothing I hate more than programs that make me browse the internet in their integrated browsers because, lets face it, they are all pretty crap. The popular browsers (Firefox, Opera, IE, Safari) took years of development and they aren't perfect, so a one-man side project isn't going to stand much of a chance.
Quote:Original post by issch
The popular browsers (Firefox, Opera, IE, Safari) took years of development and they aren't perfect, so a one-man side project isn't going to stand much of a chance.

Spot the irony.
i know a one man project cant change the internet and thats not the aim, i was merely thinking of ideas then the browser sort of came as an interesting project to work on. so yeah im just wanting to do the browser for experience and sort of fun.

i must agree though that to change the internet you'd have to get rid of users but i'd up that to 99.99% lol
Personally, I think creating an internet browser would be an awesome project. Good luck with it though, because the standards are numerous, large, and intentionally omit some details.
I'd really love to see a browser that is 100% standards compliant.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius

I faintly recall using one available directly from the W3C. I can't find it now, though.
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by TheUnbeliever
Quote:Original post by Extrarius

I faintly recall using one available directly from the W3C. I can't find it now, though.
There is (or was, perhaps) a browser made by the WC3 as a "reference", but it wasn't completely standards compliant by any means. If I recall correctly, it was actually less compliant and less functional than pretty much every other browser.

[Edited by - Extrarius on January 31, 2008 12:49:52 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Do you mean this? It actually looks quite nice from the screen shots (as an editing tool).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement